Obedience Training a Yellow Lab

Yellow Labs, also known as Labrador Retrievers, are one of the most popular dog breeds. They tend to be both friendly and easily trainable. This page is about obedience training a Yellow Lab.

I have a 1 year old yellow Lab, she is extremely hard to train as of now. When I scold her, she barks at me and when I try and discipline her, she runs away wagging her tail and barking at me. She is very disrespectful and disobedient. She steals food off the counters and out of my toddler's hands. When I try to scold her or give her a smack, she runs from me wagging her tail and barking, like it's a joke. I would like some advise before I buy a shock collar as guidance. Has anyone had this type of difficulties with a dog of this age? Any advise would be very helpful because I'm stressing so bad with her right now.

Answers

Best Answer

You must establish yourself as the leader or else your dog will assume that he is the leader. When she steals food crate her. She will learn that she gets more attention and love when she does the right thing. I would keep food off the counters for now.

Best Answer

Your dog isn't taking you seriously. I'd suggest one or two sessions with a trainer to see where your body language and voice aren't telling her you're serious. Sometimes it takes someone else looking at what you're doing to see where you might be going wrong.

Best Answer

If she is a house dog, crate her when she acts up. It may take a shock collar. I am about to use on a German Shepherd we have. If you don't get it corrected soon, she will never stop. She thinks she is the alpha. When you are eating or preparing food, crate her. When she acts up, crate her.

I am not sure where you live, but if you have 4H in your area, and your dog is up to date on her shots and is not a biter, you may try calling your extension office and see if a kid in the dog project wants to train your dog as their fair project.

Best Answer

I'd just like to point out that crating a dog when she acts up is not recommended.
The crate is meant to be a quiet place the dog can go to relax, get away from stressful things, have a nap and feel safe. It is NOT a punishment. Using it as a punishment will make your dog crate averse.
If your dog ever feels "trapped" in the crate is is being used incorrectly.
Shock collars can be used in certain circumstances, but I don't see this being one at all. Shock collars can be used when you aren't physically there to correct your dog. But since you are there to correct your dog, you just have to learn to properly get her to mind you.

Shock collars don't help dogs learn who's in charge because they don't realize the correction is coming from you. It is coming from the collar. So in your case I would not use this device.