CandiesBaking & Desserts

Orangettes

contest winner icon
In Europe Christmas means citrus, the green grocers shelves are filled with citrus of every size and shape. The smell of the peel brings back happy memories of Christmas past. For me this is also the signal to do what I love the most; making something out of nothing and making a delicious festive treat to help my friends and family celebrate Christmas. Don't be daunted by all the steps, the ingredients are few and the delicious results and compliments make it well worth spending your time!

Prep Time: several hours

Cook Time: 90 minutes

Total Time: 4 hours

Yield: 35-40 pieces

1. Remove the orange peel in scored segments. A large orange will provide 8-10 pieces.
  2. Cover with water in a pan, bring to the boil and boil gently (uncovered) for 10 minutes.
  3. Drain the peel into and discard the water (although it does make an excellent all purpose cleaner and degreaser if you are into non-chemical products).
  4. Ad

5. Cover the peel with fresh water, bring to the boil and simmer for 30 minutes.
  6. Drain the peel again but this time reserve and measure the liquid.
  7. Ad

8. Weigh the same amount of sugar in grams as you have liquid in millilitres.
  9. Return the pan to the stove and gently heat until the sugar has dissolved. You have a sugar syrup then drop the orange peel into the syrup bring it back to a simmer. Simmer for 45 minutes, until the peel has become translucent.*
  10. Ad

11. Cool the peel in the syrup then lift them out using a slotted spoon and place them on a piece of baking parchment so they do not touch.
  12. You now need to let the peel dry. You can do this with your oven on the lowest setting or at room temperature (the second will take a little longer). Once it dries the pieces will set and hold their shape
  13. When the peel is almost dry sprinkle over a small amount of sugar this will give you a lovely frosted effect and a nice crunch.
  14. Ad

15. Use you method of choice to melt the chocolate and dip one end of each piece into it and then lay the pieces onto baking parchment, allowing enough space for the chocolate to spread a little.
  16. Finally ,when the chocolate is set put the finished orangettes into cello bags. They will keep for about 1 month- but I find they never last that long. They make great Christmas presents and I am always asked for the recipe.
  17. Ad

*You now have candied peel which you can use in cakes such as Panforte, Christmas cake or Florentines.

These candies look really good. Thank you for sharing with us!

I really hope you can find the time to give them a try as they truly are worthwhile- not difficult, just a few steps with a bit of waiting time. They are delicious and although they are very thrifty indeed they taste expensive!

Can you send me some please? They look delish! They would go great with my coffee.

excellent recipe and easy to follow instructions! These orangettes really do taste as good as they look. They would make a lovely Christmas gift, I highly recommend you try them.

Anonymous

would you please give the measurements in english ie: kg and reference to 200g and what is "millilitres. Thank you this will make it easier to do the recipe Merry C hristmas and Blessings to you and yours.

Hi, thanks for your lovely greeting and a Merry Christmas to you and yours too. So pleased you are going to use the recipe I know you won't be disappointed. I just made another batch as the ones I made for Christmas have already disappeared!

We have a teeny bit of a problem because US and English measure are not the same either but I will do my best to convert metric to US. A kilo bag of sugar is 2.2lbs. 200g is 7 ounces. A millilitre is a metric unit of liquid. There are 1000 millilitres in a litre. That is where the problem comes because a US pint is smaller than a UK pint! So I had a quick look on the net and think I have the following solution.

A US cup=236 millilitres of liquid which means about 236 grams of sugar per cup of liquid= 8.3 ounces.

So when making the syrup 1 cup of liquid needs 8 ounces of sugar, Half a cup would need 4 ounces and so forth.

I really hope this helps and if it doesn't just let me know and we will work it out a different way!

My mum makes these with all kinds of citrus fruits and they are heavenly :) Great of you to share so everyone can try!!