Is it safe to use the big chlorine tablets for a swimming pool in the toilet? Like the Clorox tablets only larger? I buy them by the bucket full in the summer and wondered if it is safe in the commode, too?
By LMay from South Texas
Keep lung health reasons in mind before using any chemical in your home. Other than keeping that in mind, as long as you don't add any other chemicals, which could cause dangerous gases and possible explosion, it would be safe to use chlorine.
I was recently diagnosed with COPD and used to use bleach which contains chlorine. I now use good old fashioned vinegar which is safer for the environment and safer for the lungs to clean everything. But on the humorous side, I know vinegar wouldn't keep a swimming pool clean nor be fun to swim in ;-)
Do NOT use the pool tablets in the toilet. Remember those big tablets are for about 20,000 gal of water.
My mother in law used a pool tablet in her toilet once while on vacation; it ruined all the rubber workings inside the tank and the the fumes just about knocked them down!
Thanks for all the hints. I did try the big tablet yes it cleans but the fumes are strong. Guess I will go back to the little ones. Thanks for all the hints & ideas.
Absolutely yes! Been doing it for years. You need to change the flapper to the yellow or orange one for chemicals. Pull when going on vacations.
If you have hard water, it is wonderful. I used to use ONE bottle a week of Lime Away, now I put in one tab. Will eventually clean the old sewer pipes in house of build up too. The toilet will flush better.
If you want you can use an onion bag with a knot on top and cut small hole on side to hold the tab up where you can reach it easily.It usually lasts us about a month.
No scrubbing, no fuss. Ria
Those 3" pool tablets are far too strong to use inside the house. It's not safe to inhale that much chlorine throughout the house. You could use a piece of it, however, maybe 1/4. FYI - I used a chlorine tablet (normal toilet tablet) and it plugged up my toilet. I had to call a plumber. Now I just clean my toilet with vinegar and baking soda because I catch my dogs drinking from the toilet now and then.
DO NOT USE chlorine tablets! Every toilet manufacture and toilet trim manufacture will post warnings and warranty statements telling you to not use drop-in tablets. Chlorine is highly corrosive. Using tablets in your tank will cause the premature failure of the flapper and gaskets. This can cause internal tank to bowl leaks as well as external leaks.
The biggest concern with chlorine is the gasses. As Chlorine dissolves in water is dissipates and turns into a gas. This gas collects under the lid of the tank. Chlorine gas is also highly corrosive and will eat away at the plastic fill valve and the tank lever. I have seen tops of fill valves break off due to chlorine attack. Once this happens, the water pressure from the incoming line will shoot out of the top of the fill valve, blow the tank lid off the tank and turn your bathroom into a swimming pool. Pray nothing like this happens to you while you are away for a weekend. It only takes seconds to create thousands of dollars worth of property damage.
Use tablets at your own risk. All insurance companies will deny your property damage claim once they see evidence of chlorine in and on the tank parts. Believe me, they will check.
Ask a QuestionHere are the questions asked by community members. Read on to see the answers provided by the ThriftyFun community or ask a new question.
I have a bucket of 1 inch chlorine pucks. Ideas for use (other than pool) would be greatly appreciated!
The chlorine tablets that I am familiar with are the ones that you dissolve 1 tablet to treat 7500 gallons of water with for pool use. If that is what you have, there is no other safe usage, as they are actually a hazmat product. If they become wet, or in close range to other chemicals they can off gas and be deadly. (I am a firefighter/emt and we study these often). They are too powerful to be used in a home cleaning situation and can actually damage metal pipes.
So, if that is what you have, there is no other safe use.
just a trivia fyi--did you know that chlorine was first developed to be a chemical weapon during wartime?
Don't use them, especially to clean. The fumes can damage your lungs.