Crafts For KidsCrafts

Paper Bowl Pet Turtle Decoration

Vote for this contest contender!

My little one has been wanting a pet turtle after reading a book about turtles! This is probably the closest we can do with a pet turtle and she's having a blast with her new *pet turtle*.

This would also be great for party decorations too if you're having a sea theme. You can apply this same concept with other animals too.

Total Time: 30-40 minutes + drying time

1. You can use a clean paper bowl, or use one that isn't too dirty and wipe it down. Then flip upside down and paint. Allow to dry.
  2. In the meantime, you can freehand and draw the face, legs, and tail. For the face, I traced a circular water bottle. For the legs and tail, I freehand drew them and then cut out.
  3. Recycle any cardboard you may have from online packages, cereal boxes, something more sturdy than the paper and cut to fit the face, legs, and tail for reinforcement.
  4. Once shell of turtle is dried, punch a hole, thread ribbon in and knot. Cut a good length for your child to be able to drag the turtle around.
  5. Using hot glue, attach all pieces (face/legs/tail) together to the turtle's body. Glue wiggle eyes to head. As a guide, I laid the pieces out and traced with a pencil where to glue.
  6. Optional: Decorate turtle shell. I cut out squares of plaid pattern green/white scrapbook paper. She glued down the pieces. Now you have a paper *pet turtle* in your household!

You're so sweet to make her a pet turtle :) When I was little, I wanted a fluffy dog so badly, my parents made me a stuffed one from pillow bits and cloth. This reminds me of their sentiment. Sweet!

Aww that is so sweet and sentimental of your parents' to make you. :) That is a great idea!