This beetle is fun for kids to make after reading Eric Carle's, The Very Clumsy Click Beetle". They will have a blast getting the beetle back onto its "feet".
Total Time: 5-20 minutes, depending on how long it takes to decorate!
Source: The Very Clumsy Click Beetle by Eric Carle & Preschool Creative Learning
- Using heavy cardstock or poster board, trace and cut out an oval shape about 4 inches long and 2.5 inches wide. It does not need to be exact if you would rather draw the oval!
- Decorate one side of the oval with markers, crayons, glitter, etc.
- Hot glue wiggle eyes on the head side.
- Hot glue a clothespin on the belly of the beetle. (The side not decorated.) And make sure the part of the clothespin you squeeze is on the 'butt' end.
- Once the glue is dry, place the beetle belly side up, with the clothespin on a firm surface. The floor works really well! Take one or two fingers and press the clothespin (through the oval beetle) on the side you usually squeeze.
- Quickly lift your finger(s) up after pressing the clothespin down. The beetle will jump and flip in the air, usually landing back on its "feet".
To see steps 5 & 6 in action, check out the video I made, at this link: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=t_A3cSKvH7U