Paper Training a Puppy

I have a 6 month old male neutered Pom. We are still having potty issues. I have been training him on paper as he is an inside only pet and I am not an outdoor person. Some days he does just wonderfully and other days misses the paper entirely.

I work closely with him and am just getting impatient. Is he just still young? I wonder if I should go ahead and train him to go outdoors even though it is against what I really want. He's learning some basic commands and shows he knows when he had an accident.

Any advice is welcome. Please, someone help. Thanks to all.

By Nelwyn from LA

Answers:

Paper Training a Puppy

I don't know what to tell you about your baby missing the paper sometimes other than that dogs don't aim like humans or even cats do. I've never had a dog that can potty in exactly the same spot every time and that includes puppies.

I promise I am not trying to be mean, but why do you have a dog, who needs outdoor exercise, if you're not willing to at least walk the baby even half way down the block and back a few times a day at his potty time? (03/16/2010)

By Deeli

Paper Training a Puppy

I don't know much about dogs, but I have heard you can train them to go potty using cat litter and a cat tray. I know this would depend on the size of the dog and it might be more expensive, but it might be worth having a go. (03/16/2010)

By Sharylesley

Paper Training a Puppy

Oh my dear, this dog needs to go outside to potty. Dogs do not like to potty where they live, it's instinct for them to go outside. Please take the time to get out in the yard with your dog and praise him when he goes outside. It will be good for him and good for you, too, to get fresh air and some exercise. Dogs are not like cats, they need to go outside. Otherwise, give him to someone who wants a dog and get yourself a cat! (03/28/2010)

By Marfette