Plastic Melted on a Smooth Cooktop Range

The plastic lid from a candle that I keep next to my stove was set on a hot flat top burner on my stove. I have gotten most of it off but still have a film of plastic and I am wondering how to get the rest off.

Sherry Rohmann from WI

Answers:

We just did this last night (melted a plastic hot dog bun bag on our flat-top ceramic stove-top). I waited until the stove cooled then with my fingers peeled the heavy layers off the stove (I was surprised at first that I was able to do this). Then I used a WD40 like lubricant & applied it to the stove-top, then with the papertowel I cleaned the area with a circular motion. It took a few minutes but I was amazed at how well it came clean. Good luck! (10/22/2006)

By Sheltons in Springboro

I melted a section of a plastic cutting board on a burner, and it was a mess. I soaked cloth pads with WD-40 and left them on the burner for about 15 minutes, removed them and turned on low heat for about 30 seconds to soften the plastic. I then scraped as much of the plastic off with a razor blade at a 45 degree angle as I could. I repeated this process then scrubbled the burner with a generous amount of bar keepers friend with a plastic scrubber sponge. Amazingly, virtually all of the plastic came off. What small spots didn't were removed easily with the razor blade.