A plastic bag was melted onto my glass stove top. I had been told to scrape it off with a razor, heat it back up, and even to try ice. I remembered that I had bought a bottle of Goo Gone, so I tried this let it sit on the plastic for about 10 to 15 minutes. Then I used my scraper (just a plastic one for Pampered Chef) to scrape off the plastic. It worked like a charm. I then cleaned the whole stove top with Soft Ccrub and a sponge, finished off with some glass cleaner and it look as good as new.
By Linda from Pensacola, FL
Share on ThriftyFunThis page contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
When left with just the residue of plastic on the cooktop: turn burner to maximum for 10 minutes (exhaust on for fumes), until residue turns from black to charcoal grey. After cooktop cools, wipe with a dry cloth. The residue will be nothing, but ash.
Ask a QuestionHere are the questions asked by community members. Read on to see the answers provided by the ThriftyFun community or ask a new question.
So my daughter tried to clean off drippings from a hot burner with a scrubbie sponge and the sponge melted right onto the burner. Will any of the solutions offered here be best to try?
By Ingrid C.
With the stove completely cool, I'd try using a razor blade.
My daughter dropped a plastic hot dog bag on my smooth top stove. I have tried the Cerama Bryte, scraping with my fingernail and nail polish remover but it did not remove it. Any suggestions on how to clean the burnt plastic from my smooth top stove?
Have you tried magic eraser?
I've use a razor blade on mine. Also the tabs off of bread bags make good scrapers.
Maybe Goo Gone with a plastic scrubber...maybe
I use an old credit card (or grocery "savings" card) as a scraper to remove difficult substances without scratching the surface. This might help.
I like my razor scraper--just be careful to keep the angle close to the stove so you don't risk scratching. I also like Bon Ami (a scratchless powder) for tough messes on mine.
WD-40 takes plastic bags off toasters. May be that would work on the stovetop. Remembered a wash it thoroughly before firing it up.
I always keep a single edged razor blade in my kitchen on the formica splashback edge for just such projects.
Also, if you are careful with the spray/splash and have a light touch, you can use oven cleaner letting it sit for about an hour, and that, too will remove it, rinsing with cool water and a paper towel. Wear gloves, use ventilation.
God bless and help you. : )
I burned plastic on mine once, and just carefully used the razor scraper - works great.
TAKE SOME WAX PAPER AND PUT IT OVER THE MELTED PLASTIC AND TAKE A HOT IRON AND IRON OVER THE TOP OF IT. WHEN THE PLASTIC IS SOFT ENOUGH YOU CAN PEEL OR SCRAPE IT OFF. I ALWAYS HAVE A PLASTIC SCRAPER ON HAND. HOPE THIS WORKS FOR YOU.
I use easyoff oven cleaner. Spray on the area let stand 15 minutes, then scrape off with a razor... Presto..it's gone. This how I clean it all the time. The razor will not scrath the surface,.
Just get a magic eraser wet, and wipe your stove down and if there is a few pieces of plastic left on the stove just use a razor and gently scrape it off!
Use WD-40 and a razor. An entire base of a kettle melted on to the ceramic stove top, and got it off in minutes. Works like a charm.
A BBQ Teflon mat was used on the glass cooktop and it melted. It was left a grey stain on it that I can't seem to be able to remove.What can I do to restore my cook top to its former glory? Julie
When a pot overbooked on my electric smooth top stove, I wiped it quickly with what I thought was a cotton dishcloth. It had some polyester in it, which I did not realize until it melted as I swiped. Now I can not get it off. I tried commercial products made for stovetop as well as baking soda, and also Barkeeper's cleanser. Any ideas?
By Eve G.
Try a straight edge razor blade. Be gentle.
How do I remove melted plastic from a ceramic cooktop?
A spatula melted on my smooth top range. How do I get the melted plastic off?
I would try the razor blade window scraper.It should work.
ThriftyFun is one of the longest running frugal living communities on the Internet. These are archives of older discussions.
I was cooking and a bag of cheese fell on to my stove-top. Now I have a lovely, rather large, spot of melted plastic on the flat top. What can I do to get it off?
I melted a plastic container on my daughter's glass cook top. How do I safely remove what is left?