Potato Ball Recipes

Category Potatoes
Potato balls can be made with a variety of flavorings to serve as a snack, appetizer, or to accompany many dishes. This page contains potato ball recipes.

Recipes

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these recipes. If you have made this recipe please submit a photo and let us know how it worked. Or, add your own recipe variation.

• 2 cups cold stiff mashed potatoes
  • 2 Tbsp. finely chopped onion
  • 1 Tbsp. melted margarine
  • 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
  • 3/4 cup dry bread crumbs
  • 2 Tbsp. water
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 1 beaten egg

Directions:

Add to the mashed potatoes the chopped onion that has been sauteed in the melted margarine. Blend in cheese. Divide mixture into 8 portions of 1/4 cup each. Shape into balls and roll in fine bread crumbs to coat. Add water and salt to beaten egg. Dip crumb coated balls into egg mixture and then roll again in dry bread crumbs. Place balls on greased cookie sheet. Bake in 400 degree F oven 10-12 minutes or until coating is crisp and potato balls are heated through. Makes 4 servings.

By Robin from Washington, IA

Ingredients

• 2 cups stiffly mashed potatoes
  • 2 cups finely chopped fully cooked ham (or sausage)
  • 1 cup shredded cheddar or Swiss cheese
  • 1/3 cup mayo
  • 1 beaten egg
  • 1 tsp. prepared mustard
  • 1/4 tsp. pepper
  • 2 to 4 Tbsp. all purpose flour
  • 1 3/4 cup crushed cornflakes

Directions

In a bowl, combine first 7 ingredients well. Add enough flour to make a stiff mixture. Chill for 30 minutes. Roll into 1 inch balls and roll in flakes. Bake at 350 degrees F for 25-30 minutes. Serve hot. Makes about 6 dozen.

Source: The Country Cooking Collection from Country Magazine,
Nancy Eash, Gambier, OH

Love the onion soup mix in this recipe!

Mix ground beef, potato, salt, pepper and onion very well in large bowl. Shape above ingredients into balls. Lay balls in a well greased casserole dish.

I am looking for an Italian recipe that is a mashed potato ball, with things like chopped ham and cheese rolled into it. Then I think, it was fried. I don't know what it's called, but I ate it at an Italian Festival. It was so good!

Ramona from Granby, MA

Answers

By Nance (Guest Post)

I saw this demonstrated on Food TV. You could check Food TV.com for a recipe. I forgot who showed it.

Years ago I got a recipe from a girl I worked with (she's Italian) for rice balls that she made. Perhaps this is similar to what you're looking for? They were delicious! When I go home tonight I will look for the recipe and post it - hopefully, I still have it. In the meantime, Google a recipe for Italian Rice Balls... This may be what you're looking for.

It sounds a lot like a Arancini, an Italian rice ball that's traditionaly made with Aborio rice. Aborio has a very creamy texture when cooked, almost like mashed potatoes. Here's the recipes I've used many times, it's just like what I remember growing up with. I usually make this with cheese and I make some with meat. I make a small melon ball size meatball ahead of time and alternate the two in the center.

allrecipes.com/.../Detail.aspx

Can't find the recipe, sorry.
As Stephanie posted, they're call Arancini, and I've bought them at an Italian market here in the Chicago area. It's called Caputo's. Now, I realize you're not in the Chicago area, but you may be able to buy them ready-made in Italian stores. Just a thought....
Good luck!

Food and Recipes Recipes PotatoesFebruary 8, 2013
🌻
😎
📓
😷
🐛
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Potato-Ball-Recipes.html