Preparing a Wall for Paint After Removing Wallpaper

When removing the wallpaper the old paint also came off in many areas. Can I feather, prime, and use flat paint to get a better look?

By BILL from MI

Best Answer

I agree with removing paper with vinegar. Than wash the walls and paint them with KILZ. Use two coats of the KILZ and than add the desire paint to your walls. Have Fun.

Wash walls with what

Best Answer

I just did this exact thing. I sanded by hand all the drywall to as smooth as a surface as I could get it. You have to treat the drywall as unfinished at this point.

I then had to do some seam repairs, so I did that and sanded those down. Then I used a primer called 1-2-3 and did 2 coats of that. Then I painted. It turned out beautifully. Lots of work, but it's wonderful. Good luck.

If by 'feather' you mean a light sanding to even everything out before priming and painting then the answer is yes. I suppose if you mean texturing, well, that answer would be yes too. Be sure the rest of those little flakes of remaining wallpaper are gone before priming. ;-)

Home and Garden Home Improvement PaintingJanuary 25, 2011
💘
🍀