Ask a QuestionHere are the questions asked by community members. Read on to see the answers provided by the ThriftyFun community or ask a new question.
I have tried just about every cleaning solution out there to get rid of the black mildew that seems to build up around my shower enclosure. I have used mildew resistance caulking, but that does not seem to work.
Debra from Hurricane, Utah
Mildew is a fungus that has to be killed or it will keep coming back. You need to use a strong bleach solution and soak it good. Allow it to set for awhile (as long as you can) and then rinse it off. Should work.
Like the first poster said...bleach should take care of it. There are many cleaners out there that contain bleach. If you have tile flooring...u want to check a small area first to see if the bleach is going to damage the tile more than the mold has. I had this problem at my old house and was told it was because there was no ventilation in the bathroom. We recently moved, remodeled the bathroom and added a ventilation system and I've not had a problem with it yet (it's been 6 months).
If you don't have a ventilation system (AKA: exhaust fan), you might try opening a window or just putting a small fan in the doorway facing outwards to pull the moisture out of the bathroom. Until you get some ventilation in the bathroom you will continue to have this problem. Getting water on the flooring does contribute to the problem but the gist of it is from moisture...humidity.
If you don't want to use bleach you might try apple cider vinegar. It is a very good cleaner, antiseptic, digestive aide, sanitizer, deodorizer and the list goes on. Do a internet search on ACV and you will be surprised at the list of stuff it is good for.
Go to a cheapie store like Dollar Tree, Dollar Store etc. and get a couple bottles of hydrogen peroxide and put this in a squirt type bottle like DAWN. Squirt the porxide in these places and watch it bubble the mold and mildew away. It will be slower returning, too.
I had a terrible mold problem on the caulking. Full strength bleach would not touch it. I bought a cheap gel DISHWASHER soap. I painted this on, make sure surface is dry and be generous. Leave it on. Works like magic even after showers removed the soap. I haven't found anything else that worked!