Propagating Hydrangeas from Cuttings

My neighbor gave me a bloom to propagate a hydrangea, but I've heard they don't bloom if you propagate from an already bloomed cutting. Does this mean that even if roots appear, the plant will just consist of leaves forever? Or does it mean it'll be two years before it actually blooms?

By Lisa

I propagated my first hydrangea from a cutting placed in a floral arrangement. I took a nice tender (not too woody, not too thin) section of the branch after the bloom dried up, removed the flower, and placed it in a pot by itself in a sunny but not too hot location and started watering and fertilizing it (I hear that there is a growth hormone you can add to it, I did not). It took off and it is huge and beautiful now. It has gone from baby pink, to bright pink and now it is a beautiful purplish blue. I was lucky with mine so maybe you can do the same. Good luck.

So I have a hydrangea bloom in water now. Do I leave it until bloom dies, then plant the stem from it?