Starting Poplar Tree Cuttings

Category Trees
This guide is about propagating poplar trees from cuttings. Poplar trees produce their own rooting hormones. Be careful where you plant your cuttings because the roots may wander. It is not advisable to plant a poplar tree within 100 feet of a building.

I am planning to grow our own firewood by planting poplars and elms in an unused section next to our house. We will have plenty of elm seedlings as soon as they come up in our garden, they are there every year. I can take cuttings from our poplars, but do I need rooting hormone to help them get started?

By Coreen Hart from Rupert, ID

Answers

We used to make a skating rink every year for our kids, one year my hubby cut some poplar trees and stuck them in the ground before the frost. He was using them for hanging lights on the rink. Well winter came and went and in the spring those poplar trees he cut in the fall and stuck in the ground, were sprouting leaves! I'm sure any way you try a poplar will grow.