Protecting Your Garden From Pests

Category Pest Control
Your beautiful flower or vegetable garden can come under attack from a wide variety of pests from insects to cute little furry wildlife. This is a guide about protecting your garden from pests.

Keep mice out of garden by mixing rat pellets with peanut butter and setting it out in your garden. The mice like the smell of peanuts.

If you have trouble with wild cats, minks, or squirrels (or such pests) in your garden or flowerbeds then try grating up a bar of Irish Spring soap and sprinkle it sparingly throughout your garden and flowerbeds to keep them out.

It works! I use it only in certain areas, and I do not have a problem with those pesky little pests where I do not want them.

Source: Another one that has been passed down throughout numerous family members.

By David from Ellsworth, ME

Last year, I had difficulty with deer, wild turkeys, and our free range chickens getting into my garden, even though we have a 6 foot fence surrounding the whole area. The would jump or fly over and nibble away, eating whatever they felt like. It was really frustrating!

This spring, I was determined to try something different. I had heard that flags worked to scare deer away. I took that idea one step further. I secured one wire, about 6 inches or so, above the fence, and then a second wire about a foot above the first wire.

Next I sewed together scraps of fabric cut into strips 3 inches wide and as long as you want, short sides together. I made mine really colorful! You could take an old sheet (or pick one up at the thrift store or yard sale) and cut it up for the strips.

Lastly, I wove the strips between the two wires making "V's";. And it works! No deer, no turkeys, and no chickens! I am finally harvesting fresh veggies without nibbles and pecks, and it adds lots of color to my garden.

By gypsyranchcreations from Grants Pass, OR

This is a guide about animals eating my tomato plants. To stop the garden feasting, you will first want to identify the culprit.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about fencing your vegetable garden. Keeping pests such as dogs and rabbits out of your garden can often be accomplished by putting up a fence.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This guide is about controlling insects in your vegetable garden. Knowing what insects benefit your garden plants, helps you identify the ones you don't want.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

I want to get the juice out of chilies so I can spray it on the plants to keep the pests away. How can I do that?

By Jim from Australia

Answers

Boil the peppers in water. Strain it then ad more water if needed. I do this with hot peppers. I also spray it around flowers & etc to keep other critters away, good luck.

When you are dealing with chilis, fresh or as powder you have to be aware you are exposing yourself and anyone in area [children] to a potential breathing problem or skin/eye irritation problem.

You could blend them with water and let sit, strain after some hours and use strained juice with a hose type sprayer, I wouldn't use them straight, you might burn your plants.

Easier and safer is to fill a spray bottle with water and put in a teaspoon of cayenne powder. Cap, shake, spray.

I'm with kffrm288. Boil or simmer the peppers in water to make a tea. Some folks like to run the peppers and some garlic together in the blender before steeping to make tea. Works on lots of critters, as you probably know.

I mix Tabasco sauce minced garlic and and vegetable oil put 3 tablespoon in a 3 gallon sprayer full of water and spray your plants, it also may be use to marinate your steaks you will be grilling this summer. The domenome

How do I keep those yucky green bugs and other bugs from chomping away at my beautiful spearmint, mentha and basil plants? Breaks my heart to find out in the morning all those fresh green leaves have been eaten away. I can't keep my cats away from the garden so I can't use any heavy duty agents.

Thanks!

Answers

Anonymous

I wish I knew what bugs you have (aphids perhaps?)....I've never had a problem with bugs eating mint or basil. They're usually pretty bug free. Aphids however will attack just about anything under the right conditions.

The first thing I'd do is try to get the problem under control. If the bugs are large enough, hand pick them off and drop them into a bucket of soapy water (early morning or evening is the best time to do that), or use an insecticidal soap (not harmful to people or animals - can even be homemade).

If the bugs are aphids, some people suggest a gentle stream of water from the hose to knock them off (which is also supposed to help drown them), but I've never had much luck with that method. I usually end up using insecticidal soap at regular intervals where aphids are a serious problem.

I really don't have any other advice to offer without knowing what the bugs are. Good luck.

I have been organically gardening for over 20 years. The best insect control having chickens, but I have found Spinosad (Green Light) - it is totally organic and it only kills chewing insects. For the 1st time I do not have aphids on my Brussels sprouts, banana peelings work on Roses and on other things for aphids but not the Brussels sprouts, I handpick things in the front yard and bring to the chickens. I have no snails because I have killer snails. Since I've been using the Spinosad
I had virtually eliminated all my bug problems. It works on whitefly caterpillars, loppers, grasshoppers, you name it. You just have to be careful that if youre raising butterflies not to spray those particular plants.

I have had good luck with floating row covers, gauzy white fabric that lets in light and air and weighs nothing on the plants, but fences out the cooties.

I suggest you buy lady-bugs if you have any garden store near your house. Lady bugs eat those small green-colored bugs, which are called aphids. Hope l helped, and good luck! ;)

When an animal eats the stem of the tomato plant will it ever grow back? Does the saliva seal it? If I clip the ends will it grow back? What can I do?

Thanks.

Answers

If there are no leaves left, the plant has no way to gather energy from the sun and it will die. In that case it's best to dig it up and replant.

If the leaves were eaten off and the stem is still intact and planted, it will grow again--tomato plants are very sturdy. If the stem was totally severed at or below ground level but the plant top is lying on the ground, just replant the top. Keep it watered and it will grow new roots--this happened to a couple of mine this year. I use toilet paper tubes to encase the stems of my newly planted tomatoes to keep cut-worms from eating through the stems when plants are young. The stems of mine that were eaten through were over half an inch in diameter, so definitely not cut-worms. The saliva has nothing to do with sealing the cut and you do not have to clip the cuts. The tomato plant will grow new roots all along the stem if planted underground. They are amazingly resilient.

My ornamental Cleveland pear trees have small red fruit that attracts lots of Starlings after the leaves fall. Can the fruit be eliminated or sprayed to resolve the problem?

By Chuck in OH from Dayton, OH