Putting a Dog on a Diet

Category Health
Dogs may need to be put on a special diet in order to lose weight. This is a guide about putting a dog on a diet.

My little dog has back problems and because of that she gets little to no exercise because I have mobility problems also. I know it has to be my fault because she can't eat if I don't give her food. I am also overweight, but really it seems like her weight came on really fast. Her vision is getting bad also. She is mainly on a raw food diet. She gets one frozen chicken leg a day and has for 3ys. or longer, but this has been a bad winter health wise for me and I have been snacking and giving her snacks also. That' the truth. Thanks.

By Sandy

Answers

You did not mention whether you include anything other than a chicken leg for your dog to eat. I am a raw feeder also, but the food I prepare takes into account the vitamins and minerals, carbs, proteins and fats needed by my cat. There are eggs for B vitamins and vitamin A. There is chicken liver for iron (but only a limited amount because chicken livers are very high in vitamin A, more than one in a week is an overdose.) If you are feeding your dog one chicken leg a day he is getting a diet poor enough to harm him. It would be very low in vitamin A which could affect his eyesight. You need to know dog nutrition to feed or cook for your dog. Either learn nutrition yourself, or ask your Vet for an approved raw food recipe for your dog. I would recommend you put your dog on a quality commercial dogfood immediately. And then if you want to feed home prepared food, learn about the nutrition he needs, or ask your Vet for a recipe.

There is nothing easier than opening a can of top quality dog food
or cooking up some pumpkin/potato & mashing it then adding a little cooked chicken breast or cooked beef.

If you must give it a treat peel & slice a little apple. Don't give it human rubbish.
You desperatly need to help your little dog - if you give it one chicken wing a day it must be starving - why not give it a few top quality dog biscuits for nibbles instead of human food.
If you love your dog then please change the feeding habits as it will soon suffer from major health problems.