Putting Names on Kids Clothes

Category Clothing
Putting your children's name on their clothing helps when sorting laundry or for identifying lost clothing at school. This is a guide about putting names on kids clothes.

I'm a foster parent and when children come into my home they sometimes come with a bag of clothing. I also have to spend a certain dollar amount each month buying them brand new clothes. When they leave my home I have to make sure they take all the clothes they came with plus any I have bought for them.

I'm looking for ways to put their names on the clothing. I dont want to mark directly on the fabric and ordering special embroidered name tags don't work for me since some kids only stay a short time. Maybe some ideas on what type of pen or fabric to use that will last and not fall apart in the wash?

Diane from Sanger, CA

Answers

You can go to walmart or any fabric store and buy tags that you can add to clothing and they sell special pens for writing on them...I would ask the people at walmart or a fabric/craft store....they are reasonable in price also!

Good luck!

http://www.elli … amp;ideanum=7039

The above link links to someone who sells 9"x12" sheets of iron-on transfer fabric; perhaps you could get some white iron-on fabric and use that and a fine-tip Sharpie marker to make your own iron-on name tags?

They sell laundry markers that don't wash off. I like to mark (even just an initial will do it) on the tags instead of the clothes. There is usually a blank side or a place where it won't obscure the laundry instructions. Lots faster and easier than sewing or ironing on labels.

Hi, I use a special marking pen that is permanent called "Rub A Dub". It looks like a felt pen. I write the name on a piece of light colored knit material (doesn't ravel). Then I cut out a rectangle around the name and sew that into the neck or waistband of the clothing. I usually make up around 10 or the names and cut them out so they are ready to sew in as needed. I am just using a scrap of material that I had, so the only cost is for the pens, which last a long time. Loretta