Recipes Using Turnips

Category Vegetables
Turnips
This nutritious root vegetable can be used in a variety of ways. This page contains recipes using turnips.

Recipes

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these recipes. If you have made this recipe please submit a photo and let us know how it worked. Or, add your own recipe variation.

Ingredients

• 3-4 peeled and thinly sliced turnips
  • 1/2 cup chopped onion
  • 1 Tbsp. flour
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1/4 cup butter, melted
  • 1/2 cup cracker or bread crumbs

Directions

Combine turnips and onion. Mix flour and milk together. Pour over turnips. Mix crumbs and melted butter. Sprinkle over all. Use oiled casserole. Bake at 350 degrees F for 1 hour.

By Robin from Washington, IA

This salad is full of fresh vegetables and makes a healthy side dish or light lunch.

Dressing:

Directions:

Add all veggies to 2 cup hot water and 1 tsp. salt. Bring to a boil and simmer 5 minutes. Drain immediately.

Mix all dressing ingredients together and pour over veggies. Toss once to mix. Refrigerate 3-4 hours and serve.

By Robin from Washington, IA

I have a family Christmas coming up at the beginning of December and have been asked to bring turnips. The thing is I hate turnips and have no idea on how to cook them or whatever you do with turnips. Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks.

Answers

Anonymous

It just dawned on me that I've never even tasted a turnip :-o What do they taste similar to?

Go to www.recipezaar.com and put, turnips, in the search bar.

There are several recipes. Look for where it says "sort by" and click on rating, it will sort the recipes to show you the most tried recipes

Turnips are a wonderful addition to your Thanksgiving feast.

We love them mashed, along with an equal number of potatoes. This will be our contribution to the Thanksgiving dinner we have been invited to. Peel the turnips and the potatoes, cut them into cubes, and boil them in salted water until they are soft enough to mash. Drain, mash (or whip) them until they are smooth. Season with butter, salt, and pepper. If you have trouble finding turnips, buy rutabagas, (which we actually prefer because they have a more delicate flavor.)

You can candy them like they do parsnips.

http://www.cook  8-225194,00.html

has a basic one.

What you do seems to depend if your replacing mashed potatoes or sweet potatoes. Actually, I ask the person that requested what you bring what kind of recipe she wants you to use.

Why don't you see if you can trade dishes with another family member so you can make a dish you're more comfortable with? I don't think anyone in your family would expect you to make a dish you had never tried and don't even like.

This is a recipe from my childhood, from my dad's good friend, a former military chef. Wash, peel and cube your turnips, you can keep them in a bowl of cool water until ready for use. Cut up several slices of bacon (the amount can vary to suit the amount of turnips and of people who like bacon); put them in a hot pan until browned and crisp. Remove the bacon and set aside. Coarsely chop an onion (again, the amount can vary); drop it in the bacon grease, cook until translucent and soft. Drain the turnips and add them to the cooking onion then add some water. It can be a small amount of water, you just need enough to cook the turnips until soft. Cover the pot and turn the heat to medium/low. Stir occasionally cook until soft. Add the bacon, stir and simmer for a few minutes to blend the flavors. MMMMM!!! I believe this was a family recipe he had from his childhood growing up in New Orleans, Louisiana. Enjoy!

I also hated turnip until tasting them pureed with butter. I do them the same now, adding lots of butter and a touch of fresh nutmeg and lemon to the mix. They should be light and fluffy for full effect. I have also pureed sweet potato and swirled it into the top for a two colour ribbon effect for special occasions.

Being a true Southerner I have to ask, which end of the turnip have you been asked to bring? From all advice I've read so far, yall are talking about the "root" end of the turnip and not the true green tops. Both are good to eat but I"m just wonderring which end is wanted?

I grew up on turnips and my mother always made a meat and potato pie

1 lb ground meat

1 med onion

carrots (you can use a can of them)

1 turnip

Dice the turnip and if u have raw carrots dice them

put them all together with salt and pepper and beef bullion let it all cook together till done. In another pan peel and boil 1lb potatoes when done mash them with butter and milk. Line a loaf pan with pastry then take the potatoes, and put a layer on the bottom, then a layer of drained meat mixture. Layer the meat mixture and potatoes then top with pastry lid bake at 350 till crust is brown.

You can make this any size just by adding more. Use the leftover juice and pastry and make dumplings. Also you can cook just carrots and turnips together then mash them makes a good side dish change from peas and corn. Hope you like it we all do its an English dish.

Preparing and then cooking turnips takes alittle practice.

But if I were you, I would just go to the store and get 2-3 large cans of turnup greens, already prepared. After you put them in your pot, add about 5-6 tbls. of bacon grease, for seasoning, with alittle salt and pepper.

The crowd will think you cooked them yourself and know one will never know.

As a fellow Canadian, I am sure that what you are supposed to bring is the root end of the turnip (and for you Americans, we mean rutabagas, or older people call them Swedish turnips). The usual method of cooking a turnip is to peel it, cut in chunks, boil it like you would do potatoes, and mash. Nothing complicated about the dish. However, a lot of people don't like them as they have a pretty strong flavor. Obviously, your family does, as do many in my family. We can hardly have a Christmas or Thanksgiving meal without turnips, but I'll bet only half of the people eat them. A good way to do them is half and half with potatoes, as one of the other posters suggested, as they will not be as strong that way.

If you can trade with another family member, as someone else suggested, that is the way to go.

If not, and you are an adventuresome cook, try some ot these recipes that others have posted. If you are an inexperienced cook, go with the basic mashed recipe. I would bet money that is what everyone is expecting.

Turnips are similar to carrots, and they taste like a cross between potatoes and carrots. I usually make them with a few carrots. Peel as you would a carrot, and use equal amounts of each.....carrots and turnips. Toss diced veggies Rosemary and olive oil. Saute' or bake until veggies are tender.