June 4, 2010
Here is a quick and simple craft to make for Dad for Father's Day out of a recycled honey bear.
Approximate Time: 1/2 hour (including drying time)
- empty clean honey bear
- acrylic paint
- printer paper
- computer and printer
- clear contact paper
- hot glue gun and glue
- wrapped candy
Start with a clean empty plastic bear that honey comes in. Sand it well with some sandpaper. This will make the paint stick better.
- Paint him with acrylic paint any color you like. I made black, brown, and white. You could also make a black and white panda bear. To make the bear's eyes and nose use the back of your paintbrush.
- While that's drying, type up the special message for the front of the bear:
You are "Beary" Special!
- After you print it, cover each side with clear contact paper then cut it out. I used white paper for the white and black bears and brown paper for the brown bear.
- Hot glue the message on the front of the bear after the paint is dry. I did two coats of paint on these bears.
- After your bear is complete, fill the inside with dad's favorite wrapped candy. We used Tootsie Rolls, caramels, and Bit O' Honey.
The bears were a big hit!
Because the message isn't specifically written for dad, kids could give it to grandpa or an uncle. We even gave one to our pastor. These really would make a cute Mother's Day gift too!
By Dana Sipe from Normalville, PA
June 4, 20100 found this helpful
How cute! :) They all look so great and even a clean, unpainted honey bear with candies inside would work probably too!
June 15, 20190 found this helpful
I wondered what to do with those, I have several saved, now I know what I can do, thanks for the wonderful idea