Refurbishing a Small Trash Can

Gold Post Medal for All Time! 969 Posts

Refurbishing a Small Trash Can - spray with shellac coatingI will just say that my bathroom plumbing is 45 years old and the original commode is a bit sensitive. Let's just leave it at that. So, I have started putting my TP in a waste basket. But those colors had to go!

Total Time: 2 hours (not including dry time).

Yield: 1

• trash can with swing top lid ($.99)
  • 4 yd fabric of your choice (for tiny can)
  • 1 oz paint color ($.10)
  • 1 paper embellishment (bag with designs you like)
  • scissors
  • hot glue gun
  • paint brush

1. Cut or rip 1" strips of the fabric you chose.
  2. Refurbishing a Small Trash Can - rip fabric into 1" strips

3. Hot glue the first one to the back bottom of the container base. Wrap as you are gluing. Set aside.
  4. Refurbishing a Small Trash Can - begin by gluing strip to bottom and gluing and wrapping around can

5. For the lid, I wanted to make the top white but do something fun with the swing top. My bathroom is black and red, with white and gray accents. I painted the top of the lid white. It took 5 coats to cover the original color.
  6. Refurbishing a Small Trash Can - paint can top white leaving the swing top alone

7. The swing top was a challenge. I found that because it curved, I had to make little slits in the sides of the paper to overlap each other. Then came the wrinkles, but I found I kind of liked that. So after it dried for 3 hours, it was all done but the final coating.
  8. Refurbishing a Small Trash Can - spread glue on the swing top

Refurbishing a Small Trash Can - glue decorative paper to swing top

9. I took it outside to spray shellac it. I did two coats and everything now is a nice protected surface impervious to any moisture from the showers and such. N-JOY!!
  10. Refurbishing a Small Trash Can

Crafts Home Decor BathroomJune 9, 2020
👔
🌻
🐛
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Refurbishing-a-Small-Trash-Can-1.html