Home DecorCrafts

Refurbishing a Small Trash Can

I will just say that my bathroom plumbing is 45 years old and the original commode is a bit sensitive. Let's just leave it at that. So, I have started putting my TP in a waste basket. But those colors had to go!

Total Time: 2 hours (not including dry time).

Yield: 1

1. Cut or rip 1" strips of the fabric you chose.
  2. Hot glue the first one to the back bottom of the container base. Wrap as you are gluing. Set aside.
  3. Ad

4. For the lid, I wanted to make the top white but do something fun with the swing top. My bathroom is black and red, with white and gray accents. I painted the top of the lid white. It took 5 coats to cover the original color.
  5. The swing top was a challenge. I found that because it curved, I had to make little slits in the sides of the paper to overlap each other. Then came the wrinkles, but I found I kind of liked that. So after it dried for 3 hours, it was all done but the final coating.
  6. Ad

7. I took it outside to spray shellac it. I did two coats and everything now is a nice protected surface impervious to any moisture from the showers and such. N-JOY!!

Sandi, it is very clear that you like pretty surroundings and your mind is always working on ways to improve things and still be thrifty. Your "personal" trash can is an excellent example - very neat!
Betty