Remedies for Tension Headache

Relaxing can be a challenge when you are stressed out. This guide is about remedies for tension headache.

I'm 24 and my problem is I have an issue with stress. I sometimes can let others or certain things worry me or stress me out. It is causing a major health problem for me like headaches that may occur in the joints of my head or the back of my head. I have these to the point that sometimes I feel pressure in the back of my head that will cause the back of my neck and shoulders to tense up.

I sometimes worry could it be stress, anxiety, or high blood pressure. I was never diagnosed with high blood pressure. Every time I go to the ER or the doctor, they tell me my blood pressure is fine.

I started a new job so I no longer have insurance at this time and I travel every day with my 2 year old daughter. I'm sometimes afraid of passing out while driving. I need help or at least answers, could someone please help me.

By Sheena

Answers

I have the same problem. Try putting a ziplock bag full of ice on your neck. I had been trying heat and it only got worse. Advil helps alot too. I think the feeling like you are going to pass out is just a panic attack. Once you have a panic attack in a certain place, like the car, it is likely to happen again. I was about your same age when my panic attacks started. You have a new job and a baby to take care of which is alot of responsibility. I am sure you are stressed out. Hang in there and try to relax.

I used to have problems with stress, but rather than headaches I got awful stomach cramps. It's not fun, I know. Some aromatherapy is really helpful. Try some lavender or chamomile essential oil in a diffuser or inhale a couple drops on a tissue. If you feel very stressed while driving, pull over for a minute and try to collect yourself. A lavender compress with a cool washcloth would also help. Cut back on coffee too, caffeine makes stress worse.

Try and get some time to yourself each day. That would be hard with a new job and a child, but even 15 minutes where you can put your feet up and relax is helpful. Try imagining soothing scenes, like a waterfall or a beach. Be aware of your breathing. I also find that keeping a journal is helpful. Writing down your worries can be surprisingly cathartic. Hope you feel better soon.

#1 Mk sure you are getting all your vitamins, the B's & Calcium are particularly good for the nerves.(You can even get multivits from dollar stores today!)
#2 Try using Rescue Remedy (from the health food store) for calming you down, it's an old homeopathic remedy much used in Europe.
#3 for tension headaches, try to work on keeping your neck muscles relaxed by bending slowly from side to side and around. This will keep the blood flowing. Also try gentle massage with your fingers on your upper face, at the jaw & on your temples and scalp. Think about getting an electric massager to use at home.
#4 Take deep breaths and keep your breathing slow & regular, don't hyperventilate!
#5 Start to meditate or use a repetitive prayer daily for a few minutes to calm your mind.

#6 There is a wonderful book by an female physician from Australia about How to use your head to calm your nerves. It's not new, but see if you can find it, because I think it's very useful advice.

Take care of yourself & your daughter & good luck!

You may be having panic attacks. There are ways to treat those and you need to see a doctor about them if that is what you are having, You should not have to live that way.