Painful Pressure in the Back of the Head

This is a guide about painful pressure in the back of the head. While this type of headache is quite common with chronic anxiety, it is best to see a doctor and rule out any other possible causes. Here are some tips for relieving the pain, if you find that it is actually a tension headache.

My boyfriend has anxiety disorder, and for the last few months, he has been having pressure in the back of his head. He says it feels like his head is being squeezed in a vice, or a tightly wrapped bandage on his head. It makes his anxiety much worse, and he always feels like going to the ER for this. He has been there 2 times last month in the same week for this, and the doctors have done numerous tests on him, and everything came out fine. What can this be, and how can he get rid of this?

Stephanie from Paterson, NJ

Answers

Best Answer

Having experienced the identical problem, and going through every test in the book, I finally found a doctor that could explain the issue. They are tension headaches! The worst thing for a person with anxiety issues to have because the added anxiety from the headaches actually makes the headaches worse!

I have found lots of great suggestions to relieve the pain of these headaches on the internet! Although it was definitely a trial and error situation! I hope he is able to get them under control...they are really terrible and debilitating!

Best Answer

One thing to try is breath in through your mouth and out your nose for 5 minutes. I think it helps because you have to think about it and it helps you relax and take your mind off your pounding head.

Best Answer

Steph - Altho you may be right abt this being anxiety related, and not to add to his or your anxiety, there is a condition called Chiari I malformation that can cause the symptoms you describe, including chronic anxiety as a related symptom. What this means is that the hole at the base of the skull thru which the spinal cord enters/exits the skull is too small and leads to symptoms like headache, a vise like feeling, and so forth.

It can be difficult to diagnosis. I know this because I had a sister w/this problem, and she went undiagnosed for years, despite this being a congenital malformation. I would recommend an appt w/a neurologist or neurosurgeon to rule out this, or any of a number of other causes of his headaches, including migrane. Good luck to you both.

Best Answer

Ok, I know that it's wise to have the tests to make sure that nothing more serious is wrong. But once you've exhausted that route--try a consultation with a good chiropractor. I had horrid headaches because I had a pinched nerve in my neck.. Chiropractic adjustment cures it. I was actually blacking out from the headaches before. I know most MD's aren't impressed by chiropractics, but I am because I know that it works--and I'm not impressed by toxic, expensive prescription drugs!

By Sheyl (Guest Post)
Best Answer

Does he wear a baseball hat all the time? My hubby always had headaches, until he figured out that his baseball hat was pressing on his head causing daily headaches.

By denise w (Guest Post)
Best Answer

I too have suffered with both depression and both back and neck injuries. I went to stress management classes and agree that this does work. I also do an exercise that was taught to me from the drs office; stand at the counter with feet apart and lean into right hip, hold for 10 seconds, now stand straight, and then move into the other hip hold for 10 seconds.

I do these 10 times each and then I stand straight lift my arms up and slowly release to the floor until my hands touch it. I also do this 10 times. It works really well to relieve stress and realigns my spine, which makes the headache go away. I hope this helps.