Cleaning Shower Heads

Category Bathroom
Minerals can build up on your shower head as the water passes through it. These mineral deposits can clog your shower head, so it is important to keep your shower head clean. This is a guide about cleaning shower heads.

The cleaning gals used real lemon juice they squeezed on the show. Put the juice in a baggie, put the shower head in the baggie, zipped it up and left it at least 15-20 minutes (show time) then took it out, rinsed it off, polished it and reinstalled it. Looked good to me. Of course, they said, it could take a longer or shorter time depending on how blocked the shower head was. Just keep soaking it until it is clean.

To clear a clogged shower head, boil it about 15 minutes in a mixture of 1/2 cup vinegar and 1 quart water.

By mamacrafter from TN

I keep a spray bottle of half vinegar, half water, and a spritz of dish detergent for everyday use. Once a week, I spray the showerhead with this vinegar mixture and it keeps the holes unclogged. When I started, about a third of the holes were stopped up and this mixture cleared them up and keeps them open. I haven't had a problem since I started doing this.

Source: Myself

By Barbara from Jacksonville, FL

Get a baggy and fill with vinegar. Tie it around the shower head, leave on overnight. Wipe grime off in morning. It works well.

What's the best way to clean shower heads that you can't easily remove?

By Pam from Davie, FL

Answers

Use a yellow kitchen glove. Fill it with whatever you want to soak it in, and tape the ends around the shower head, and leave for a few minutes.

Or, use a plastic foldover sandwich bag--not the zip type bags, put cleaner in it, and very, very carefully, put it over your shower head,(so as not to drip or spill the cleaner on you,) so the entire shower head is immersed in the cleaner, tie it, or tape it, and let it soak. Another way, is to use a wrench that will safely remove the shower head without damaging it, then put the shower head in a cleaning bowl only, and let it soak, then rinse, and using the wrench, put it back on the shower pipe.

Also, let the water run a bit, to get all of the cleaner out of the pores of the shower head--nobody wants to turn on a shower and get drenched in cleaners not meant for them.

We have the hardest water I've ever seen so far in my life, and we were hardly getting any shower flow, even though I'd clean the showerhead on the pipe. My husband got a low-flow showerhead at Walmart for around 6 dollars. Even though our water flow is still a little low, I can't believe what we are getting in water flow now. Since the other showerhead is off the pipe, I can really soak it, and check it out, and maybe with a lot of cleaning, it will be useable again! I didn't throw it out.

Use straight white vinegar to soak the shower head.
Then you don't have to worry about chemicals

I used a sturdy plastic bag filled with vinegar and let it sit, tightly taped, on the spout. Took something like 8 hours, but it worked. The calcium and lime deposits came right off.
If you want to do this, possibly you'd be better off trying a half hour at first. In our case, it was a "fix it or trash it" situation, so I had nothing to loose by a very long soak.

I would like to find an all natural ingredient to clean the deposits from the shower head, any ideas? Thank you.

By Fazy from FL

Answers

I heard if you put a baking soda mix in a bag and put the head into the bag of water and tie it around and leave it there for a couple hours.

Soak the shower head in vinegar.

Mix baking soda and water into a toothpaste-like consistancy use to scrub shower head. Safe enough to brush your teeth with but scrub enough and your showerhead will be shiny. :}

How do I clean a gold plated shower head that is clogged?

By Joe

Answers

Fill a zip lock bag with vinegar, place it over the shower head and keep it in place with a rubber band or string. Let this soak over night and it should remove all buildup. Flush with hot water for a bit. :)

by teamac:
The above will work fine (the bag with vinegar) if you have just a slight clog but if you have a more severe clog (as I had and thought I was going to have to call a plumber and replace the whole system). Try the below method
unscrew the shower head, it really isn't hard to do. Set the head in a bowl of vinegar to remove the deposits.

Check all filters clean with old toothbrush use same brush to clean both the inside of the shower head and the shower pipe with either the vinegar or lime away- which works very good with deeply clogged shower heads as it breaks down the lime and calcium deposits . You may have to soak the shower head for a few hours or overnight (as I had to do), depending on how clogged they are. This will take time and a little effort but the results are awesome and so inexpensive. It saved me so much money with such little effort and time.

My shower head is on a flexible hose. How can I clean it? No, I can not remove the shower head.

Answers

You needn't remove the shower head, Earl. Find a bowl big enough for the shower head (preferably plastic, in case the bowl slips off the edge of the tub), put vinegar and baking soda in the bowl, detach the shower head and hose from the wall (as if you were about to use it) and simply place the head in the bowl. Leave to soak a few hours. Voila! Clean.

How to clean the shower head without taking it off?

By Barbara L.

Answers

I usually take a sandwich baggie with white vinegar and keep the head soaking in the bag overnight by using a rubberband. Seems to work just fine and takes away lime deposits too. Not to mention it's not toxic to pets or children.

Will vinegar harm a gold plated shower head?

By Joann from Shelby, OH

Answers:

Cleaning a Shower Head

The only thing I've ever heard that vinegar is harmful to, are natural pearls. Gold should be impervious to virtually everything. (02/10/2010)

By Cajun62234

Before you throw out a shower head that just doesn't spray right. Soak it in vinegar and baking soda. Remove shower head. Set in big bowl with spray side down. Sprinkle baking soda into inlet hole (a couple teaspoons should do) now pour vinegar in, enough to cover the head. Watch crud boil away. Soak overnight. Wrap threads of shower inlet pipe with plumbers tape and reconnect.

By Jules from Yakima, WA

How do I take off my shower head to clean it? I have a Pegasus shower head and the holes are stopped up.

Sue from Norman, OK

Answers:

Cleaning a Shower Head

I take a baggie and put about 1/2 to 1 cup of white vinegar in it and tie it (or use rubber bands) around the shower head. Let it soak in the vinegar for a few hours or overnight. It's always worked for me.

(01/30/2009)

By Elizabeth

If your showerhead is not running as fast as it used to, take a small plastic bag and half-fill with vinegar and attach it to your shower. Leave this on over night or longer and when it is removed, you should notice a lot more water pressure. I've used a rubber band to attach the bag.

By sewingmamma

I am looking for advice for cleaning a shower head.

Robert

Answers:

Cleaning a Shower Head

I used the old straight pin trick which worked fine. Thanks for the wealth of information. (01/22/2008)

By rschmitty

Cleaning a Shower Head

Is malt vinegar OK to use? (02/05/2008)

By Matt

Cleaning a Shower Head

I use denture tablets. Take two, place in baggie, tie to shower head, fill with water and walk away. Best done right before bed, it will be done in the morning. (02/27/2008)

By CJ-IN

Cleaning a Shower Head

I first wipe the shower head with white vinegar on a wash cloth. Then I look for calcium build up and poke it with a bobby pin or paper clip. Then I warm up some white vinegar in a bowl and soak the shower head in it for 2 minutes then turn on the shower to clean it and it runs perfect :) If it doesn't, try it again; it works every time. (10/22/2008)

Cleaning a Shower Head

Look at www.cleaninnovations.com website. We bought a cleaner that actually works, it also stops legionella from affecting the shower head. (10/26/2008)

By Mr B.

Cleaning a Shower Head

To begin cleaning your shower head, you first must remove the head. Before you start using the pliers to loosen the head, wrap the chrome parts in a towel or something of that nature. Wrapping the parts in a towel will keep the pliers from scratching the chrome.

http://www.made-in-china.com/products-search/hot-china-products/Shower_Head.html (11/12/2008)

By bonnie

Cleaning a Shower Head

Did anyone mention vinegar? (12/27/2008)

By George

How do you clean a shower head?

Obert from BIRMINGHAM

Answers:

Cleaning a Shower Head

What I do is use CLR that I get either at the grocery store or hardware store. I pour some into an old Cool Whip container and hold it over the shower head for a minute or two. I use an old tooth brush to get into the little holes and before you know it, those jets are running full tilt! (06/23/2007)

By Mary Jo from St. Paul.

Cleaning a Shower Head

Take a medium needle and push it through the holes in the shower head. This should clear them out, so water can be discharged through them all. Ours was only coming out 3/4 of the holes in the shower head, and this is how I solved the problem! Straight pins will also work, but to my knowledge come only in one size (06/25/2007)

By Ross.

Cleaning a Shower Head

I recently used CLR to clean my shower head. There are directions on the container specifically for cleaning them. If you're able to unscrew the shower head, you can then soak it in the solution, otherwise, holding a container over it sounds like a good alternative method. I was able to remove the hard metal build-up and it works great now. (06/25/2007)

By sylviecyn

Cleaning a Shower Head

Fill a ziplock bag half and half with water and vinegar, dissolve a tsp of baking soda in it, put over shower head and fasten with a rubber band. Leave a few hours (06/25/2007)

By ruthvalleygal

Cleaning a Shower Head

Remove the shower head and soak in a bowl with a few denture cleaning tablets. Works great. (08/29/2007)

By Tyler

Cleaning a Shower Head

I debated buying the CLR, but opted for the less expensive method first - just vinegar. I put it in a bag, put it on the shower head and let it soak for a few hours. Scrubbed a little mineral build-up off with a toothbrush, and the showerhead works perfectly. I have a double-head heavenly shower. I cleaned one head and compared the two. The vinegar worked great. Thanks for the tips! (10/08/2007)

By LM

I'm trying to remember how to clean a shower head. The spray is going all over due to build up.

How do you clean shower heads? Is there anything I can make at home to unclog the holes in the shower head from lime deposits.