Pressure Cooker Recipes

Pressure Cooker with Vegetables
The pressure cooker is back and is a faster alternative to using your slow cooker. This page contains pressure cooker recipes.

I'm really having a lot of fun with my Instant Pot. This chicken is delicious and moist, and the sauce tastes wonderful over rice, potatoes or pasta. This page contains a pressure cooker lemon butter chicken recipe.

Pressure Cooker Lemon Butter Chicken on plate with rice

Read More... Was this helpful? 1

Easy recipe that takes only 25 minutes from start to finish.

Ingredients

Directions

Over medium heat, cook ground meat. Drain, wash off grease and set aside. Saute onion (in pressure cooker) in 1 Tbsp. olive oil until translucent. Add meat and Joan of Arc chili beans. Crush whole tomatoes in hands over ingredients in pressure cooker. Place on lid and cook at medium heat for 10 minutes.

Serve with good Italian bread and Amish butter. M-m-m Good!

Source: My husband's creation.

By Elaine from Pittsburgh, PA

How do you convert a recipe from a pressure cooker to one that you can cook in the oven? My mom used to make plum pudding in a pressure cooker and I would like to make it in the oven. Also she used suet in her recipe. I can't find suet in the stores. What can I use as a substitute for suet? Thanks!

By Jennifer from TN

If you gave me the pressure/time I could roughly convert that to temperature and time for you. The oven is going to be much drier though, so you might end up with some hard pudding. I did some research and concluded that there is no substitution for suet. Here's an article for you: ochef.com/657.htm

Jennifer,

Sounds like what your mom made was a steamed pudding you can't make it in the over per se, but I will try to help you out. You can make your moms pudding in a pot of boiling water on the stove and it will turn out much the same as if you had pressure cooked it the only difference will be that it requires more water and a longer cooking time. There are some excellent instructions for how to make a steam pudding here http://www.moth  d-Puddings.aspx.

Suet is raw beef fat or mutton fat it has a much higher melting point and is hard to replace.

To render suet, it's best to start with ground beef fat (ask your butcher to grind it if don't have a meat grinder, or else chop the raw beef fat as fine as you can). Heat the ground or chopped suet in a pan over a medium flame until all the fat leaches out. There should be nothing pink in your pan, only solid grey bits in a clear liquid. Strain out the grey bits by pouring the melted suet through a fine cheesecloth. Save the strained liquid fat and let it cool. Suet at this stage is still somewhat soft, but if you melt it and strain it again, you will produce a very hard suet.

You may put out your rendered suet as is, use it to make suet cakes, or store it for later use (it will keep several months in a covered container in your freezer). If you have a locally owned grocery store or butcher shop that cuts up carcasses see if they will save/sell you some of the fat around the kidneys and follow my directions from there. Substituting for it is difficult here is some good information why: ochef.com/657.htm

But if you must choose a hard vegetable shortening one I know of is called Atora Light you can buy it on Amazon.com http://www.amaz  ht/dp/B000T9BJHU

Hope this helps. I make steamed puddings in my pressure cooker a lot and I would encourage you to try it isn't that difficult I promise but I have made lots of them in a pot of boiling water too.

Merry Christmas.

It will be a steamed plum pudding I imagine which your mother made. This is not possible in an oven without filling it with steam but you can make these in a crockpot or slow cooker and I'm going to do that today myself. It just takes several hours and keeping an eye on the water level in the crockpot. You make it in the basin and put a cover over the top, loose enough for expansion, but secure enough to keep steam out. It can be made days before it's needed, then heated up for 2 or 3 hours again in the crockpot when ready to be eaten.

As for suet, it is similar to lard or cresco grated.

Have you asked for suet at the meat dept? That is where I found it when I was making food for birds.

Suet from the grocery is not always able to be consumed by humans. They don't always keep it refrigerated well enough. I know this from asking for some for the birds. The butcher asked me if I was going to cook with it and explained why I shouldn't. So if you ask for it be sure and tell them you are going to cook with it. Get the butcher not an aid, they won't know what you are talking about. Otherwise lard would work or Crisco but it has no flavor.

If you cook it in the oven it will turn out very similar to Christmas cake so you are defeating the object of plum "pudding". I've always used vegetable suet with great success, which doesn't need refrigeration plus it is healthier and easy to use. I don't know if you will find it where you are but the name of it is ATORA vegetable suet.

If you're making a traditional steamed pudding, especially a plum pudding, the answer is "no, there is no substitute for suet." Bet you didn't expect that answer, did you?

Suet is the hard fat from around the kidneys of cows and sheep. Do not confuse it with fat from other parts of the animal that may be sold as suet but does not have the same properties. Most of the suet sold in supermarkets these days is suspect, of indeterminate quality and age, and quite likely intended for bird feeders. A butcher would be a more reliable source for suet.

Because suet has a high melting point, it serves as a place-holder in puddings and crusts when the dough has begun to set, and long after other fats would have melted. As a result, the structure of the pudding is already defined by the time the suet melts, leaving thousands of tiny air holes that give the pudding a light and smooth texture. Additionally, suet, which does not have any meaty taste, imparts a rich flavor. The substitution of butter or shortening, especially in a steamed pudding, simply creates a dish that is heavy and greasy.

Needless to say, very few people cook with suet these days, and most run screaming from any recipe that even mentions the stuff. If you can't bear the thought of using suet, you can certainly substitute solid vegetable shortening, which also has a relatively high melting point, for suet in most recipes and few people will notice.

Best of luck

Patricia

Can anyone give me a recipe for a chocolate, or any type of cake cooked in the pressure cooker? I live in a hot country and I can't afford air conditioning so in the summer, I either have to do without cake or else we swelter in the heat which the oven creates. Also, please, no slow cooker recipes because I don't own one. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

By Cettina from Malta, Europe

Easy Home Made Cake Type of Meal Bakery ( Simple Cake ) Preparation Time : 20 minutes Cooking time : 40 minutes Ingredients

Plain flour (maida) - 1 and 1/2 cup Powdered sugar - 1 cup Egg - 1 Refined oil or plain butter - 1/2 cup Baking soda - 1 teaspoon Milk - 1 cup Vanilla essence - 1 teaspoon Method Mixture Preparation ( Batter )

1. Beat the egg very well until it becomes lighter and looks like double the original quantity. (As you do while making omlete ) 2. Mix sugar and oil together and stir them pretty hard till the mixture becomes light and fluffy. 3. Add the beaten egg to this mixture. Mix well to blend all ingredients thoroughly. 4. Now prepare a mixture of plain flour (maida) and baking powder and sieve it to avoid any lump. 5. Now gradually add this maida mixture, to the batter prepared by mixing sugar, oil and egg. Note: As you stir the mixture, it will become dense. Add some milk in small amount to make it smooth. Keep on repeating the process of adding maida and then milk as required, till batter is well blended (It should look fluffy/ soft). 6. Add Vanilla essence to the batter and again blend thoroughly.

Cake Preparation

7. Grease the baking tin (or cake tin) with oil and dust it by sprinkling maida over greased surface evenly. Note: Use baking tin of 6 inch in diameter, so that it can easily get into the pressure cooker. 8. Pour the mixture into the greased baking tin. Note: Baking Tin should be made of Aluminium 9. Heat the presure cooker on high heat for 2 minutes.

Caution: If baking tin comes into direct contact of the base of cooker, it can harm ( overbake ) the cake. Remedy: Use cooker container which has big holes in it. You can put the baking tin on that container and then put it inside the presure coker. Even if you do not have the cooker container cake can be made, but there is a big chance of getting its lower part overbaked

10. Now put the cake tin containing the cake batter, inside on cooker dish.( Do not put water inside the pressure cooker) 11. Close the cooker lid and do not put the whistle on the lid.Lower the flame from high to low after 2 minutes. 12. Let it cook for 40 minutes, then switch off the heat. Do not open the lid immediately. Cooked Cake Testing

13. After 10 minutes open the lid to check whether the cake is done. Put a skewer inside the cake. (Skewer - a long thin pointed piece of metal or wood, used to test whether something is completely cooked ) 14. If the mixture will not stick on it, means that cake is done. 15. Serve. good luck.

If you live where there's so much sun, why couldn't you use a solar cooker? They are easy to put together, cheap to use, won't heat up the kitchen, and there's tons of info on the internet about them. Here's one place:

http://www.cookwiththesun.com/ I wish I lived where I could use one!

Susan in Omaha

ck this out may help ya. Laura

http://www.webi  /cakes/hints.htm

I found this at:

http://www.reci  late-Cake-239468

Pressure Cooker (or Steamed) Chocolate Cake

Ingredients

* 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

* 3-4 tablespoons cocoa powder

* 3/4 teaspoon baking powder

* 1 pinch salt (if using unsalted butter)

* 2 eggs

* 3/4 cup sugar

* 50 g butter, melted

* 2 tablespoons strawberry preserves

* 1/2-1 cup milk

Directions

.

1

Sift together flour, cocoa, baking powder, salt.

.

2

Beat eggs and sugar till sugar dissolves.

3

Add melted butter and prserves; mix well.

4

Fold in flour mixture.

5

Add enough milk to make thick batter; beat until smooth.

6

Pour into greased 8-inch round pan.

7

Steam in pressure cooker (without weight) for 30 minutes.

8

Remove lid, let steam for 5 minutes more. Let cake cool uncovered; remove from pan when cool.

Thanks so much for your suggestions. They were great! The solar oven idea would be even better since the temperature here in Malta in the summer can reach 42 degrees C (107 degrees F) which is pretty hot. And I may as well make use of the heat rather than constantly moaning about it! I wonder if there is a way of making a homemade solar oven? Any ideas, please?

Pressure Cooker Fruitcake

This cake has been hand over four generations. It takes time, but is very moist and freezes well. My husband made eighteen one pound fruitcakes to give away, and then made a five lb. for our family. People who normally do not eat fruitcake loves this because we do not put much candied fruit, and use home made preserves for the fruit.

1 lb. all purpose flour

1 lb. real butter

1 lb. brown sugar (light if you want light fruitcake or dark for dark fruitcake)

3/4 tsp. cloves (ground)

3/4 tsp. nutmeg

1&1/2 c. milk

1 tsp. baking soda

1 lb. raisins (dark for dark cake, light for light cake)

1 lb chopped nuts ( Nate usually put 2lb. and put less on candied fruit)

5 lb. mixed candied fruit. (If you do not like candied fruit, replace with nuts)

1 pt. fig preserves (juice and figs)

1 pt. pear preserves (juice and pears)

1 pt. blackberry jelly or preserves. (if you use jelly, be sure NO seeds)

9 large eggs.

1. In a large dish pan or large container, mix 2 cups of flour, butter, eggs, spices, milk, sugar and soda together.

2. In another bowl, put the candied fruit, nuts, and add flour left over to be sure it is covered with flour. Be sure the fruit and nuts are covered with flour. Add the preserves mixture with the rest of the flour as you mix preserves in with the fruits and nuts. Be sure it is mixed well.

3. Add the fruit mixture with the first mixture. My husband usually used his hands to mix it well. Be sure the mixture is mixed well.

4. Butter your cake pans with real butter. Line the bottom of you cake pans with wax paper, then butter the insides of the wax paper. Leave 2 to 3 inches of wax paper hanging over the sides of the pans. Now double wax paper to cover the cake pans. Tie string around the lip of the cake pans. Be sure and tie it tight. You do not want moisture to get inside the cake.

5. Fill your Pressure cooker (my husband used a 30 lb canning pressure cooker) with 1 to 2 inches of water. Be sure and separate cakes with a rack. My husband usually put a clean kitchen towel on the bottom, put his cakes in and separated with a rack or any aluminum pans that has holes so steam can come through.

Cover with pressure top, and cook 45 min. at 10 lb. pressure. Let pressure go completely down before removing the top.

6. Take the cakes out, remove the wax paper from the tops of the cake. Bake 10 minutes at 250 degrees.

Remove the cakes, turn upside down to remove the wax paper from bottom of the cakes. WE usually cover in cheese cloth and then foil. The cakes are very moist and will last 3 to 4 months. Cakes can be frozen for months. This recipe makes several cakes.

Last week I helped a friend make the cake, and we got 14 one pound cakes. It according to what size pans you use. My friend used the 1 lb. aluminum pans.

Good luck! Betty T. GA

Thanks Theodora! Your recipe makes a huge amount but I'm sure I can scale it down to fit my own pressure cooker. Looks like a great recipe. Thanks again.

I need recipes for a 7 quart, pressure cooker. Can I cook turkey breast in a pressure cooker?

By CarolJane from Bismarck, ND

I just recently purchased a pressure cooker and would like to know where I can find some good recipes on the internet. Also, if the readers have some recipes that they have tried themselves, I would appreciate you sharing them. Thank you for your help.

By Debbie

Yet another pressure cooker recipe site...

Patti Smith

Here is a place you can go to get lots of pressure cooker recipes: type in google.com and when you get to their site, type in pressure cooker recipes and you will get lots of sites that offer recipes, probably more than you can use. The pressure cooker is really a time-saver if you are pressed for time. You can prepare a meal so quick. I don't use mine as much as I once did. Anita

Potato, Rice and Spinach Soup

Full-bodied, almost like a stew, This Italian soup is robust and a meal by itself.

1/4 cup olive oil

6 leeks (white part only) sliced (if you don't have, use onions)

3 garlic cloves, crushed

2 carrots, coarsely Italian diced

1/2 cup Arborio Rice

3 potatoes, cut into large bite-size cubes

5 cups chicken stock

1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped

1/2 cup chopped celery

1 bay leaf

1 tsp salt

1/4 tsp pepper

2 tsp dried basil

2 TBSP fresh lemon juice

3 TBSP tomato paste

1 TBSP light brown sugar

1 (10 oz) package of fresh spinach, rinsed, cut into large pieces

1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese **

1/4 cup grated Fontinella cheese **

In a pressure cooker, heat oil. Add leeks, garlic, and carrots and sauté in hot oil 2 minutes. Add rice and potatoes. Stir well and cook 1 minute. Add broth, parsley, celery, bay leaf, salt and pepper, basil, lemon juice, tomato paste and brown sugar. Stir well. Secure lid. Over high heat, develop steam to high pressure. Reduce heat to maintain pressure and cook 8 minutes. Release pressure according to manufacturer's directions. Remove lid.

Stir soup. Lay spinach over soup. Secure lid. Over high heat, develop steam to high pressure. Reduce heat to maintain pressure, slide a heat defuser over burner, and cook 4 minutes. Release pressure according to manufacturer's directions. Remove lid.

Stir soup well. Ladle into bowls. Combine cheese and sprinkle over soup. Serve with hunks of Italian bread. Makes 6 to 8 servings.

Notes: Freeze soup in individual containers up to 3 months. Thaw in refrigerator or microwave.

** I used only 1/2 cup Parm cheese

I need a easy and few ingredient recipe for fixing chicken and rice in a pressure cooker. And I'd like to use bone in thighs. Thanks!

By Sissy

I would love some tried and true healthy pressure cooker recipes. I have a 6 quart cooker. Thanks in advanced!

By Judy

Google the Presto site.

I smoked a beef brisket and sliced it, but it is still a little tough. How long can I pressure cook to tenderize the meat without it just going to mush?

By Johnny from Camden, AR

Leave the fat on the brisket (don't buy one that is over-trimmed) and lay it fat side up on a large roasting pan.

Sprinkle with some liquid smoke and seasonings of your choice and roast in a 275 degree oven for about five hours or until very tender. Cut across the grain and serve with your favorite barbecue sauce.

I love using my pressure cooker,I've been cooking with one for over 25 years now i &t makes every meat so tender! It doesn't heat the house up & it is so fast! And I don't think a brisket could ever go to mush! The general rule of thumb is to get the pressure up, then you cook the meat 10 minutes per pound of meat. You can then let the pressure drop on it's own,but the meat will continue to cook. I don't like to wait that long, so I put the pressure cooker in the sink & run cold water on it until the pressure drops. If you are going to cook veggies with it, you can stop it about 10 min before the cook time is done,let the pressure out, add the veggies, bring the pressure back up & let it cook another 5-10 min depending on the veggies.

Do you have to cook the macaroni before you make mac and cheese in the pressure cooker?

By Sue

I would like to have some pressure cooking recipes to use for dinner. Anyone out there have any they would share?

By Diane from Iowa City, IA

Do you have daily recipes for pressure cooker? If so I would like them.

By Carol M.