Removing Build Up from Tea Kettle

Get rid of lime deposits in a tea kettle by adding 1/2 cup white distilled vinegar to the water and letting it sit overnight.

If more drastic action is needed, boil full-strength white vinegar in the kettle a few minutes, let cool, and re-use the tea kettle with plain water. Don't pour the tea kettle vinegar down the drain.

You can freshen the drain if you first pour about 1/2 cup baking soda down the drain, then pour the hot vinegar down the drain. Or, you could use the vinegar to kill weeds. Make it do double duty!

By Ron from Cortez, CO

Why would you not pour the tea kettle vinegar down the drain?

If you read the complete post, you will see that the hot vinegar is poured down the drain after the baking soda. This causes a foaming action that helps clean the drain. My mom put a glass marble in her tea kettle to help keep the scale from forming, but once or twice a year she would follow the cleaning procedure mentioned above.

Be careful! I used vinegar to clean my bathroom sink pipes and followed with baking soda. The two together indeed ate away the build up...AND THEY ALSO ATE THROUGH MY PIPES!

They are very potent together and the clear running drain may be clear because the water is now running freely all over the floor of your under sink cabinet!

I fill my teakettle with white vinegar, heat it up almost to boiling and let it sit all day. After dinner I pour the vinegar into a bottle that is labeled "vinegar for teakettle". You can use this many times again. Then I use a sponge to loosen and clean any residue from the inside of the pot, rinse, and it is ready to go for another couple of weeks. Throwing away the vinegar is wasteful. Use it again and again, adding a little each time to replace what evaporates.

Home and Garden Cleaning TipsSeptember 27, 2010
🎄
🎉