Removing Tape Residue From Clothing and Fabric

Category Tips
A name tag, price sticker or tape can leave adhesive on cloth. This guide is about removing tape residue from clothing or fabric.

I searched on how to remove no sew tape residue from clothing. The easiest solution was the paper towel remedy. Just lay the paper towel over the residue and iron over it. Press down firmly and voila! No more residue. Simple is best!

Top Comment

This worked a treat for me. Change the paper towel often and use a single or double thickness only. My DH used duct tape to hem our daughter's school skirt! So lots of very sticky residue left on the fabric. Took about half an hour of ironing to remove it.

Top Comment

Guess what worked like a charm for me - a hair dryer !

How do I remove adhesive residue remaining on fabric?

Answers

try rubbing alcohol or nail polish remover, but a product called GooGone or UnGu works best. You may have to wash the fabric after use the last two products.

Anonymous

rubbing alcohol broke down the adhesive on my new shirt that a size tag had deposited, then I used scotch tape to pick up those remaining bits.

How do I remove the two-sided sticky on the back of the carpet?

I used iron-on tape to put a piece of fabric on another piece of fabric. I put it on wanksrong and had to take it off. The fabric came off, but the glue stayed on. I can't get the glue off. Hope you can help.

By Marie C.

Answers

A product called Un-Du will remove the adhesive. It will also remove smeared hot glue. You can get it at any craft store. I have also seen it at Lowes. Hope this helps.

Anonymous

I soaked the area if fabric in vodka (had on hand!) for four minutes, then peeled carefully with fingernail. It did come off. The die didn't come out, but it was a very fine cobwebby fabric, so the weave was somewhat disturbed.I had used vodka on adhesive on my refrigerator with good results.

How do I remove tape residue from a sport shirt? The paper towel/iron method did not remove the stickiness. What else can I do?

By Marie

Answers

I once dropped a towel on a bug glue trap. I used baby oil to make the adhesive gummy enough to ball up, then used rubbing alcohol to clear up the oily-ness. That was just a towel and not a shirt I had to wear...
Use your best judgement before trying that on your sport shirt!

I used paper towel and hot form and it removed the sticker residue that was put on the pants for the size. thanks

My daughter put duck tape around the headrest in my car. I am trying to figure out how to take off the tape residue?

By Mirna S.

Answers

Peanut butter or mayonnaise often works. If those don't, you can get some Goo Gone and that will work. Good luck!

WD-40 might work.

How do you get sticky tape off of nylon shorts?

By Tammy

Answers

If you are sure it is nylon, try some lacquer thinners. First test on a spot that cannot be seen.

Mayonnaise, ice & a scraper (paint). Or Ask Helowise, Good Housekeeping.com Good Luck. : )

I recently purchased a skirt but the manufacturer forgot to remove some masking tape around the hem. Now there is a slight sticky residue, but even worse, the fabric is discolored. I have tried soaking and washing with Woolite, but to no avail. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to remove the stain? Thanks!

inkybinky from Canada

Answers

There should be a tag inside the garment, perhaps down the seam somewhere to tell you it's fabric content. If washable, I'd definitely use WD-40, letting
it sit for 30 minutes, then rubbing gently with a folded paper towel on top, another under the fabric to soak up any residue from the back. It works wonders for most all sticky stuff on most every surface. The color should return once the sticky is off
it. Repeat as often as necessary, careful not to OVER
spray the spot, and only IF it begins to come off.
Once off, toss and wash as usual but remember that the spray is flammable and should be sprayed outside only. Then, hand rinse gently with Dawn before machine wash/dry. Good luck. God bless you. : )

Thank you very much Lynda... I will try that!

Alana
www.bluemellow.com

I had a cardboard box with tape on it sitting on my car seat and it left marks on the seat. Can anybody help how to remove the tape residue? Thank you.

By Pavla from Cairns, QLD

Answers

Try using sos pads.

I have gotten a black stain from hockey stick tape on a brand new white t-shirt. It got wet and the colors/dyes from it ran. What can I do to get it out? Keep in mind there is a fairly large logo on the front, however the stains are on the arm and the back.

Thanks for any help.

Revolution from Toronto (Canada)

Answers

Have you tried using something called "GOO BE GONE"? I use it on numerous things and hve never had it not work. I even had to use it on my dog. he got into a sticky trap, one used for mice, and it worked like a charm, and didn't hurt the dog at all. You can buy it almost anywhere. Also, you can try that oxyclean, again, I've used it on several occasions, it works great to get stains out of carpet, just make sure it doesn't damage the material you are using it on.

How do I remove duct tape residue from fabric?

By Joanne W from Lynn, MA

I have duct tape on my tablecloth and I want to remove the tape without tearing my tablecloth.

By Stacey

Will masking tape come off sewn material?

By Tina

Sticky web tape has been used for shortening the curtains. Now I want to take them down, but it has left part of the tape on them.

By Sandra

I have a pink winter jacket. I took off the duct tape, but I noticed a lot of residue. How do I remove it?

By Christine

How do you remove glue from duct tape off of clothes?

By Debbie from Kosciusko, MS

I used that sticky hem tape on some cotton duck curtains and now it's peeling off and I'd like to remove the sticky. Can I use something like Goo Be Gone on it? Is there something better?

By Renee