Removing Sticky Residue From Pet Fur

Before you get out the scissors, there are some ways to successfully remove glue or other sticky stuff from your pet's fur. This is a guide about removing sticky residue from pet fur.

I had a mouse in the house and placed the sticky tray traps where it was invading. Even though I thought I'd placed them out of the reach of my dogs, my Lhasa got into one and it stuck to her fur. What a mess! I had to cut it off and then tried everything to get the sticky goo off her fur to no avail. She was a mess.

I called my vet and she advised me to use regular cooking oil and rub it in the goo and then use a rag to wipe it clean. Took a little effort, but it worked. I couldn't believe it. My dog's lifesaver and my wallet's. It may or may not work on tar, etc., but it's worth the try. Hope this is useful.

By MaryEllen from Mounds, OK

Please, please, please, don't use those sticky mouse traps. You may not like mice, but this is the most terrible and torturous way of getting rid of them. Sometimes they will chew their feet of to try and get away, and the distress must be appalling. I don't worry about them, and so don't know how to make them go away. I have a pair that come and take cheese from my hand. I rather like them. Please don't do this to a living, feeling creature, try and imagine its terror instead, and find a more humane way to deal with your problem.

Leah from Australia.

What a cruel thing to put stickey traps for your visiting mice. Please don't cause so much pain and suffering. Think or a second what these poor creatures go through. Peppermint oil placed in spots near where the mice might like repels them beautifully. Study mice and you will see how intelligent they are. Mother instincts are supurb. Please don't cause pain and suffering to any creature.

I am sorry if I offended anyone with my tip to help my beloved pet in her dilemma. I am a true lover of pets and an advocate for pet welfare. I have adopted many pets in my life and will continue to do so. However, mice that are from the outside and invade my home are a health hazard. And when they eat my food and destroy my cherished possessions, I am not appreciative. I do not want to expose my pets to them nor me.

My objective of my tip was to help pet lovers to help their pet if they encountered goop that can be difficult to clean off. Again, if I offended anyone, I'm sorry. But, I don't like mice in my house! They carry diseases that I can't cope with.

Over 15 years ago, while visiting family who had sticky mouse traps, I had a parrot get stuck on one. My avian vet and the parrot hotline recommended using Dawn (straight from the bottle, not diluted in water) to get the stick off my hawkhead parrot. It worked perfectly.

A bird's system is delicate and its skin can absorb anything on it. Dawn is non-toxic to birds and animals.

Should it happen again, try it next time.

To the individuals who responded regarding using stickly traps, shame on you for chastising someone for using them. While you might prefer not to use them, some folks can't handle regular mousetraps or putting out poison because of little children around. This member was asking for help in removing the sticky glue on the traps, and not looking to be criticized for using them.