Removing Ketchup Stains on Carpet

Category Carpet
Ketchup has a reputation for being a tough stain to remove, and removing it from your carpet, even more so. This is a guide about removing ketchup stains on carpet.

Ketchup was spilt on a whitish carpet in our house, and I was wondering how to get rid of the stain? I've tried a vanish carpet cleaning foam.

Ida from England

Answers

By geri muncy (Guest Post)

Proxide will bring blood stains out so i bet it will bring ketchup out. It would not hurt to try it.
gerimuncy38@juno.com

By kascott (Guest Post)

Whatever you use to clean it, make sure you use a white towel or cloth. This way when you clean it you can see what you have picked up and then use a clean part of the cloth each time until it is out. I learned this a while back when watching professionals clean a stain out of my carpet. Also, it's been my experience that foam cleaners are not the best. A carpet manufacturer told me that they leave residue which attracts more dirt in the end. Who needs that. Good luck!

By rhonand (Guest Post)

I have tried Shout on my carpet to remove makeup and hairspray on my bathroom carpeting. It worked really well. I sprayed the carpet and dabbed it with a cloth to saturate it and then scrubbed it with a small scrubing brush.

Good luck. I hope it works for you on the ketchup stain.

Step #1: Blot with a white paper towel to remove as much of the stain as possible then neutralize the stain with a ammonia solution of (1) tablespoon of clear household ammonia to 1/2 cup of water). Saturate spot with the ammonia solution using a spray bottle Do not over wet the fiber, Do not get the carpet backing wet if you do not have Ammonia, just use water.
Step #2: Apply a small quantity of cleaner to the stain. (To make the cleaner solution mix 1/4 teaspoon of a hand dish washing detergent such as Dawn® or Joy® with a large cup of water) Use a blotting motion to work the cleaner into the affected area. If the stain is being removed continue applying detergent and blotting with a white paper towel until the stain is gone.

Step #3: If the stain is still there, flush with water to remove the cleaner, blot with paper towels and then let this stain rest until the next day. At this point the carpet fiber needs to rest and dry. You have done a great job in preparing for step #4 the next day.
Step #4: The next day, if the stain is still there: You are going to use a very common household product of 3% Hydrogen Peroxide. Moisten the stained area with the Hydrogen Peroxide (using a spray bottle) and let it stand for one hour. Repeat this one hour later if necessary. If any staining remains Agitate, rough up the area with a paper towel, spray once again and then put a folded paper towel on the stain and a weight like a brick on top of the paper towel and let stand until the next day.

NOTE: Light will cause peroxide to change back to water so no rinsing is necessary.

I have a blue carpet, don't know the material. There are coffee, chocolate, and other food stains and general dirt on it. Will white vinegar remove the stains and restore the blue carpet? If not, what do you suggest? I' ve tried ice, hot water, cold water, and detergent. The water partially works. I am open to good advice, good proven advice.

By ramrod from Toronto, Ontario

Answers

Natures Miracle (it is labelled 'pet odor remover' or 'skunk odor remover' but its the same ingredients) which you can purchase at a pet store removes smells (cat pee and others) and stains very well. I've used it on my carpet as well to remove stains. It may take a couple tries but should work...good luck

When I have spots on the carpet I use a mixture of dishwashing liquid and vinegar, maybe add a little water, then using a brush work over the spot. Take almost anything off.

How do you get ketchup out of carpet?

By sandra renee donnelly from Omaha, NE