Removing Paint from Fabric

Category Fabric

Many of us have experienced the disaster of getting paint on fabric, such as upholstery, while working around the house. This is a guide about removing paint from fabric.

How can I remove dried paint from an upholstered chair?

Joan from OR

Answers

By guest client (Guest Post)

I believe you mean upholstered chair. You might have more luck finding a solution--try chipping it off.

You didn't say if the paint was on the chair or on the material, but I recommend a product that should take care of both things. It's called "GOOP" and you can find it in your Grocery store. It is really good at removing dried paint..

Ho you remove gloss paint from cloths?

By shellb01 from Wales

Answers

As an artist, I worked with my husband with our small t-shirt printing business before. To remove the glossy paint or rubberized paint from fabric, you can use lacquer thinner. Put a small amount of lacquer thinner to the cloth with glossy paint. Rub it with a small piece of cloth, probably cotton cloth. After removing the paint but there are stains, do it again. Lacquer thinner is used to dilutes, dissolve and clean lacquer products. It is strong and deteriorates rapidly the glossy paint on fabric.

How do I remove gloss paint from silky fabric curtains?

By May B

Is there anyway to remove latex paint that has primer in it from a quilt? There are several small areas on the white quilt with the blue latex/primer paint on it.

By Tammy T

I have white washable wall paint on dark cotton material; how do I remove the paint?

By Bernice

I wonder if anybody can offer advice? I have been painting a door frame with gloss white paint. I have just carried an upholstered chair through the door way and brushed against the wet paint!

There's a smudge of white gloss paint on the chair, I'm so heat broken. The chair is made from a velvet chenille type fabric. Please, I would really appreciate any advice on how to remove gloss paint from upholstery. I'm looking for something that won't leave a stain. I would really appreciate any replies, Thanks so much.

By Lilac from UK

I have a problem with permanent paints. I was so busy helping my son and making sure that he and the area was clean that I didn't think about me. I noticed a green spot on the front of my jeans and just today I noticed a green spot on the couch! So I looked at my pants again and there was more paint on the back of my jeans. Does anyone have any ideas that could possibly get the spot of the couch or jeans? Or am I stuck with it since it is permanent? The couch is a polyester fiber. Please help. Thanks.

Jessica from Eaton, OH

Answers:

Removing Paint From Fabric

Believe it or not, just when I had been told by 30 people that there was no way you could get paint out of denim, I found the solution.

Here's what I did. First, heavily douse the denim stained area with the product "Goof Off". Let it sit awhile, but not too long since it evaporates quickly.

Then here's my secret: You can purchase a bar of pumice in the laundry department of large, well-stocked grocery stored. Very gently begin wiping off the paint. DON'T scrub so hard that your wear a hole in the jeans. Just be patient. You might have to re-wet with "Goof Off." But it's worth it!

I'm an artist, and a sloppy one at that! I was just about to get rid of 3 pairs of my favorite jeans when I came upon this remedy. I've shared it with tons of folks and I've gotten more thank yous than you can imagine.

Now I've never tried this miracle on polyester fabric, so I don't want to feel responsible if there's a disaster. See, with the jeans you thrown them in the washer and it removes any "Goof Off" residue. But I just can't fit my sofa in the washer. I'd be careful on that one. Good luck! (02/24/2009)

By Barb

Removing Paint From Fabric

If its latex paint, try using Goof Off wipes. You can get it at any Lowes or Menards. (02/25/2009)

By Newby