Removing Rust Stains from Concrete

Category Rust
Tools and other metal objects can leave unsightly rust stains on your concrete driveway, patio, or walkways. This is a guide about removing rust stains from concrete.

Our daughter has a cement bird bath that somehow has rust marks in it. Does anyone know how she can get them out of the bird bath?

Thanks to all.
Karifl from Florida

Answers

i know this sounds crazy but if you rub a lot of dirt or scrape some sandstone into the cement (instead of trying to get the satin out) you will darken the bowl of the birdbath and it will actually attract more birds. it has a more natural appeal to the birds that way than a pristine new look. you can also add some stones or sand to the bowl.

lay a paper towel on the rust, soak with water, let sit, and 10 minutes later, wipe up the rust.

And if you still want to get rid of the rust stains, try the salt and lemon juice that took stains out of my bathroom sink where an un-named teenager dropped a metal framed mirror and left nicks in the the porcelain. Just cover with an old rag to prevent the paste from drying out too fast. I later used the same solution of lemon and salt on other rust stains to good effect. The stains on the bricks holding up my flower pot shelves came right out. Also very good other stains like those on old fabric items you just dont want to bleach, like my great grandmother's lace collars and handkerchiefs.

I use a cap full of bleach in the water and I no longer have that rust.If it does appear, I use a tire brush and it cleans right out. That small amount of bleach does not hurt the birds.

Anyone have a good solution for cleaning rust stains off of concrete? A car has leaked rust onto our concrete driveway. I tried mixing OxiClean with hot water and pouring it on top but no luck.

By Connie E.

Answers

The best thing I have found for any kind of rust stain is "Whink rust stain remover" I buy it at the ACE hardware stores. So far it has worked on every rust stain we have had on every kind of surface. It even works on clothing. Just squirt it on and you usually can watch it just disappear.fI hope you have good luck with it too!

I have looked and looked for a cleaner that will remove rust from concrete with no luck. Does anyone know of something to clean it off or of another options that will work to get rid of it? I want it to look like before.

By Debi

Answers

While I haven't had this experience myself, I would try using a power washer.

How do I get rust stains off of concrete?

By Sandra

Answers

Muriatic acid, rubber gloves, and a good stiff brush.

How do I clean a battery rust stain off a concrete drive?

By Brenda from Springfield, MO

Answers

Try pouring full strength vinegar onto stain. The longer the stain the longer you leave vinegar on. This works for rust stains left behind by patio furniture on a concrete patio, so I wouldn't see why it wouldn't work in your case as well.

How do I remove rust from a concrete step?

By Ron from Princeton, ON

Answers:

Removing Rust Stains from Concrete

I know a product that will guarantee you get the stain out, but it is hard to find if you don't want to purchase it online. It is called "Whink". It absolutely works! It works for rust stains on clothing also. It is a liquid and here is a link if you want to buy it online.

http://www.whink.com/product_info.php?cPath=28andsort=2aandproducts_id=29 (04/03/2010)

By Laniegirl

Removing Rust Stains from Concrete

Simply use a 50/50 mix of liquid muriatic acid (for swimming pools) and water and spray it on the area after you have watered it down first. Do not breathe the fumes! Use a hand sprayer. It will eat off the stain in seconds. Rinse it off every 5 seconds or so to see the results. This works on efflorescence on basement walls, too! (04/03/2010)

By fixitguy1971

How do I remove rust from concrete?

By SharinWithU from MN

Answers:

Removing Rust Stains from Concrete

I found a great rust remover, so far it has worked on everything. I have used it on my concrete stairs, the wood on my deck, and my husband's clothes just to name a few. It is called "Whink" and comes in a brown bottle. I usually get it at Walmart. Good luck.

LJD7988 (06/18/2009)

By LJD7988

Removing Rust Stains from Concrete

Whink is a very strong acid, really nasty stuff, as acids go. I have some, but don't leave it on. Use it and watch the stain go, then rinse. For concrete try muratic acid, you can get it at most home centers. Acid is what dissolves oxidized iron, which is what those stains are. You could try white vinegar, pour it on and let it set. You may have to do it again, but it's easier to deal with. It's PH is about 4.5, the Whink is much lower, so is muratic. (06/18/2009)

By c t

We purchased a new fire pit for the patio. We never used it but the wrought iron still left rust spots on our patio. Could anyone please tell us how can you clean rust from concrete without damaging the concrete?

Jerri from Florence, AL

Answers:

Removing Rust Stains from Concrete

Try Barkeeper's Friend, it is usually found along the cleaning cleansers like Comet and such. Read the directions on how to remove rust stains from concrete. (01/08/2008)

By Mike