Removing Rust Stains on a Wedding Dress?

This is my mother's wedding veil. The halo part is from 60 plus years ago, and has rust marks around the top part, prob came from storing it for so long. I don't want to throw it out (sentimental reasons).

I would love to rejuvenate it if that is possible. I got it when mum passed 18 months ago. TIA if any one can help.

Answers

Lemon juice is a great rust remover. Gently moisten the stains with lemon juice and let sit for a few hours. Then check it out. If the stains have not completely disappeared, then repeat the application (maybe even several times). At the end you need to gently rinse the treated areas.

I would cover the rust marks with lace appliqués

May your mum's memory always be a blessing. You have my sympathy on your loss.

With something so sentimental I do not recommend a DIY fix. You will only be upset if it fails. I would leave it to a professional. Most big cities have places that can restore and repair sentimental pieces like your veil. It will be worth the investment (and this comes from a super frugal person) but when you are dealing with priceless memories, safety first!

Blessings!

You might try Orvus Quilt Soap.
reallyhandmade.com/.../

I know many people will recommend DIY but what if it doesn't work? Can you repair the additional damage?
I have seen people try to 'fix' something similar and wind up heart broken over the results so please find a professional and get it done correctly.
You can always check out some sites to see about the cost.
Think about it before you try something please.
When done correctly it will be returned to you in 'new' condition and probably in a storage container for preserving many more years.

www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&ei=TBNOYNPjNMzOtQbj0JfwDg...
www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&ei=SBNOYInGE9eutQaggoSICQ...

Answer this Question

2 More Questions

When I was unpacking from our last move (we're military) I found that the packing company had thrown my wedding dress in a box with metal hangers that got wet and have left stains all over my wedding dress. How do I get rust stains out of white polyester fabric?

Suzanne from Fort Dix, NJ

Answers

I sell vintage clothing & I can attest that this works on rust spots--- lemon juice--basically any kind, fresh, bottled, etc. and SUNSHINE! Dab the spots w/ lemon--set out in sunlight. Check after a few hours. Sometimes requires repeated application, but ALWAYS works!

Heres' the hard part.....Afterwards, you will need to rinse the dried lemon out because if stored, it will turn yellowish & leave a bigger area affected. If you can't rinse, you should take to a professional cleaner & do alert them that it has lemon on it in case there's some weird cross-action with their cleaning fluids.

I use hand sanitizer to remove stains. It should take the rust out of the fabric. Good luck.~Janette~

By jsham (Guest Post)

There is a product, Brand name Whink, Rust Stain Remover. It is located along side other cleaning supplies in Wal-Mart, and I am sure in other stores as well. I know it works great on nylon and as polyester is also a man-made fiber it should work on it as well, test on a seam or in the hemline to be sure.

Anonymous

meat tenderizer ... Make paste and rub spot. Results in instant!

Answer this Question

I did my bridal pictures at a park and I sat on the swings and the chains left some rust on the side of my gown. How can I clean them off?

By Macey M. from Houston, TX

Answer this Question
Home and Garden Cleaning Clothing StainsJanuary 26, 2013
🐛
🌻
🐰
👒
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Removing-Rust-Stains-on-a-Wedding-Dress.html