Removing Silly Putty from Carpet

Category Carpet
If your kids play with Silly Putty in the house, it is bound to end up on the carpet. This is a guide about removing Silly Putty from carpet.

How do I remove Silly Putty on the carpet?

By Hazelle

Answers

I can't speak to "old, dried out" silly putty, but if fresh...
I was about to try some of the more extreme solutions about the web using alcohol, WD-40, Goo Gone, etc. when something occurred to me: silly putty is sticky unto itself!

I grabbed a fair glob of my kid's silly putty and started to work it into a warm and very malleable ball. I then stuck it into the couch fabric it was pressed into. As I doubbed the glob of silly putty onto the smaller clumps - it started to come up!
I then tried it on the carpet where there was a big glob I had ground in further by trying to remove by hand - same excellent results!

No stains, no chemicals! Just a little bit of time & effort daubing it out! The silly putty picked up a bunch of fabric lint but who cares? (it didn't seem to hurt it anyway! Lol)

I just used goo gone gel spray on green putty stuck on bur bur carpet it got 95% out. Hoping some of the other advice on here like dawn dish soap wd40 works to get the rest out

A LOT of Goo-Gone and scrubbing with a towel and water.

My grandson left Silly Putty on his carpet and in the heat of summer it melted into the carpet.

By Jackie from Plainville, CT

You can clean Silly Putty off of a shag carpet, by scrubbing it with denatured alcohol. Then use orange cleaner. Then it's totally gone!

By Dodie B. from NC

I just discovered that my son left silly putty on the carpet in his room and it melted into the carpet during the warm of the day. Help! I don't even know where to begin with removing or cleaning this.

Thanks,
CW

Answers:

Remove Silly Putty From Carpet

Try placing a paper bag or piece of wax paper over the silly putty and ironing over the stain, it should melt on to the paper! This also works well with crayons or candles that have melted onto carpets or fabrics. I imagine rubbing alcohol would break up the silly putty too but haven't tried it, just a thought. Good Luck! (08/24/2005)

By Madelynnsmama

Remove Silly Putty From Carpet

I scraped the excess silly putty off the carpet with a butter knife and then blotted & dabbed the remaining silly putty with the original piece. The silly putty in the carpet stuck back to the original piece and now I can't tell where it was. I didn't have to do any additional cleaning. (07/11/2006)

By Jean

Remove Silly Putty From Carpet

Our cleaning person put peanut butter on the silly putty in our carpet. She let it sit for 30 minutes and then rubbed it out. It all came out and you can't tell it was there (our carpet is brown so I don't know if you would then have to take PB stain out of a lighter colored carpet). Apparently the oils from the PB loosen it up. (09/18/2006)

By Adrienne

Remove Silly Putty From Carpet

We removed silly putty from light berber carper with a product called De-Solv-it. The instructions said not to spray directly on the carpet, but it worked much faster when done, blotted and rubbed with a clean cloth, washed with water and blotted with paper towels to dry. (12/02/2006)

By Dan

Remove Silly Putty From Carpet

Nail Polish Remover (acetone and isopropyl alcohol) worked great. (01/10/2007)

By Michael

Remove Silly Putty From Carpet

Goo Gone took the pink kind out almost on contact for me. (02/04/2007)

By Greg

Remove Silly Putty From Carpet

Just tried the rubbing alcohol on the silly putty. Worked like a charm. We have off-white carpet and the putty didn't leave a stain. (03/20/2007)

By Leah

Remove Silly Putty From Carpet

Rubbing alcohol did the trick for us. Thanks for the advice! (07/06/2007)

By bill black.

Remove Silly Putty From Carpet

I got it out! The combo of WD-40 and alcohol did the trick. I had to rub vigorously with a damp wash cloth though. The paper towel was falling apart. My son had flattened his into the carpet with the sliding closet door.

I think that the person who invented it should be court ordered to have a house full of 3 year olds armed with the gunk over for a play date ;) Thank you. (09/21/2007)

By babe

Remove Silly Putty From Carpet

I tried the ice cube first, it didn't do much. I then tried the alcohol, it broke it down well, but seemed to make it smear more into the carpet. I then used Goo Gone and it worked even better than the alcohol. The alcohol left a bright pink stain in my light Grey Berber, the Goo Gone helped with the stain but even after using my Little Green Clean Machine there is still a slight pink stain in the carpet.

Needless to say that any remaining bright pink silly putty has been thrown out never to enter my house again! Bad idea on Santa's part. (01/12/2008)

By Cheryl

Remove Silly Putty From Carpet

Try dawn dish soap. It works. (01/26/2008)

By sue

Remove Silly Putty From Carpet

What a wonderful world the Internet is! I had no idea where to begin with my purple mess, and did a quick search and found you...my community of no more putty! :) Thank you! (01/27/2008)

By SV

Remove Silly Putty From Carpet

Goof Off just removed (actually dissolved) Silly Putty from my throw and carpet. (03/02/2008)

By Amy.

Remove Silly Putty From Carpet

After using the rubbing alcohol to remove the silly putty from the carpet, I was left with a bright colored stain. I found Oxi-clean removed this stain with very little effort. Thanks (03/21/2008)

By BT

Remove Silly Putty From Carpet

Alcohol works great, lifted the silly putty and the stain right out. Thanks so much. (04/05/2008)

By Brittany

Remove Silly Putty From Carpet

Just tried the alcohol. I dumped it on and rubbed it. It melted, but did smear on the carpet. It left a big orange stain. I used goo gone and dawn dish liquid and kept scrubbing. It eventually all came out stain and all. Thanks for all your help. (04/14/2008)

By meloney

Remove Silly Putty From Carpet

Thanks to a neighborhood website, I was told mayo would work. I rubbed it into the leftover Silly Putty in a circular motion, then wiped it up with paper towels. There was a faint pink shadow (the Silly Putty was HOT Pink) which my Little Green Machine took out. Hooray! Now the garbage man can have the Silly Putty. (05/29/2008)

By Diane

Remove Silly Putty From Carpet

Somehow, green silly putty got all over my bed. It was especially stuck in the mane of my precious Zebra toy I got when I was a baby. The mane is yarn. I was so, so, so upset. I ran to the computer and found this. I tried rubbing alcohol, Purell, soap, everything. It was still leaving a stain.

I went to get this soap that has gotten rid of every stain in the past, and rubbed it on. It worked like a dream. This soap is a miracle, I am so happy! It is called FELS NAPTHA. Try it. I swear, It works every single time. Thanks so much to everyone! I hope my suggestion comes in handy. (08/06/2008)

By Pink Stripe the Zebra

Remove Silly Putty From Carpet

Wow, thank goodness for the internet! I tried spot-shot first, which normally gets just about anything out. No luck.

Then, I found this site, and read through all the great advice. I ended up using the rubbing alcohol with some WD-40, and some serious scrubbing (with rags, not paper towels). I got most of the red silly putty out of my beige carpet. Now my son is out of the dog-house, and the remaining silly putty is in the trash! Thanks for all your great tips! (08/11/2008)

By Cathy Hill

Remove Silly Putty From Carpet

My son got orange silly putty on our white/blue berber rug. After the alcohol treatment, the Goo Gone and Dawn mixture removed everything. I am speechless. Thanks for the wonderful tips! From one grateful mom! (09/14/2008)

By BonBon

Remove Silly Putty From Carpet

Alcohol worked. Thank you so much, my carpet is once again perfect! (03/21/2009)

By pancakedlvr

Remove Silly Putty From Carpet

Hand sanitizer did the trick! My son feel asleep with the t.v. remote in his hand with the silly putty too. I rubbed some sanitizer on a paper towel and lightly rubbed the putty off of the buttons, etc. Thanks so much! (08/29/2009)

By maggie h