Removing Spray Paint From Walls

Category Walls
Sometimes when using spray paint on a project, it can accidentally get on your wall. This is a guide about removing spray paint from walls.

I live in Victoria, Australia. I had an old fridge in the kitchen and I decided to spray it purple. Little did I know that the spray from the can went on the wall. I now have a 12 inch long purple stripe on the white wall. Can anyone suggest something to take the purple off without ruining the white wall? I am a renter and really need this to be taken of.

Best Answer

I think it would be easier to repaint the wall. You might try something like Mr. Clean's Magic Eraser, but I suspect that anything that will remove the spray paint will also remove the paint on the wall.

Stupidly I thought all was protected when I used some spray paint inside. Little did I know that the overspray traveled that far. Is there a way of safely cleaning the overspray from the carpet and furniture (wood and fabric)? Thanks so much for any advice, besides never using spray paint indoors again!

By S Durgeloh from WA

Best Answer

Things you'll need:

wood board
clean rags
olive oil
terry cloths
plastic putty knife
pressure washer
wire brush
lacquer thinner

Step 1 Lay the fabric flat on top of a wood board.

Step 2 Apply a few drops of olive oil to the over-spray.

Step 3 Allow the olive oil to soak into the over-spray for four minutes. Scrape away the over-spray with a plastic putty knife.

Step 4 Wipe the olive oil from the fabric with a rag dampened with turpentine.

Step 5 Wash the fabric with dish-washing detergent.

Brick and cement

Step 1 Remove as much of the over-spray as possible with a pressure washer.

Step 2 Apply lacquer thinner to the over-spray.

Step 3 Scrape away the over-spray with a wire brush.

Step 4 Rinse the surface with the pressure washer.

Wood, plastic, fiberglass, or vinyl

Step 1 Apply a few drops of olive oil to a rag.

Step 2 Apply olive oil to the over-spray with the rag.

Step 3 Wrap the wide scraping-end of the plastic putty knife with a rag.

Step 4 Scrape the over-spray free using the plastic putty knife buffered with the rag.

Good luck.