Removing Toilet Bowl Stains

How do I remove a brown stain from the toilet?

By Donna from Wallsend, NSW, Australia

Best Answer

Use a Pumice Stone

Just go to a pool supply store, or a hardware store like Lowes or True Value and ask for a pumice stone. Price is about two dollars. That is a volcanic stone made for the purpose of removing hard water or any other difficult stains from ceramic or porcelain surfaces. People clean tiles around swimming pools with them. They are used in antique restoration. All that is needed to remove stains is to rub it over the stain and stain is gone. No harm, easy, safe, cheap, and fast. You will be happy to have found this product.

Anonymous

I've found a pumice stone to be overly abrasive. It can ruin the smooth surface of the porcelain, which will actually lead to more stains.

Best Answer

Lime Away

Lime Away Toilet Bowl cleaner! It is fairly new and in a container shaped like all the other toilet bowl cleaners. It is awesome! It also removed hard water buildup from sinks, faucets and tubs.

Be careful, it's really strong and can discolor some metals. This is also the only thing that will clean a glass shower door, just the glass. I just love it! I live in Central TX and the hard water buildup here is awful! It is currently only available in our HEB grocery stores.

Anonymous

It does not take stain out of toilet

Anonymous
Best Answer

I had black mineral stains on three toilet bowls due to the flapper not making a good seal. Replace all three flappers and used 320 and 600 grit wet/dry sandpaper. The sandpaper did the trick. good luck.

So it's a hard water stain?

The only thing I know of is an acid that you can only get from a plumber. You may also try borax. It will work somewhat, kinda fade them. I'm not real sure where you can get pure borax, maybe a plumbing or hardware store.

Hope this helps.
God Bless

CLR works on some stubborn stains.

You can also find pumice stones in the foot care department. Takes elbow grease, but usually works. I usually use mine with some comet or scrubbing bubbles.

I tried the pumice stone once and it scratched the enamel. Don't know if I would recommend this!

Anonymous

I had an ugly problem that I tried to get rid of with bleach but no luck.
I randomly used some Di-San oxy ultra white pre treater soaker from Aldi and couldn't believe my eyes. Brown stain gone. Woo hoo

Just throw some in the toilet and like magic gone. No scrubbing.

Just use a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser

hOW TO REMOVE MINERAL DEPOSITS FROM TOILETS