Removing Trees from Your Yard

Category Trees
Occasionally you may desire or need to remove a tree from you yard. There are a few steps involved in successfully completing this task. This is a guide about removing trees from your yard.

There is a useless tree outside my house which I would like removed. The council will not remove it. Everyone complains about it and I cannot cut it down for obvious reasons, plus it is quite tall. I have tried to kill it (without success) as the council will then have to remove it. Any ideas of an obtainable weedkiller or liquid solution that will kill the roots and do the job?

By Roger

Answers

Best Answer

Poor tree! Well anyway, you could girdle the tree. Remove al the bark in a circle all the way around the tree. Remove about 6 inches to a foot of bark so there is an area completely around the tree with no bark. This will stop food from going from the leaves to the roots and the tree will die in a year or so and then the council will have to remove the dead tree.

Best Answer

Since you want the council to remove the tree I'm assuming you live on council housing-if so, and you do anything to cause that tree to die that they can figure out you had a hand in, you'll find yourself in very serious troubles indeed!

In Scotland even if we own the land we need to let the council know about a proposed tree removal as many species are protected. If you own the land the tree is growing in, why don't you have a professional come in and remove it at your cost-after, of course, apprising the council of your intentions to have the tree removed.

I have a bottle of spirit of salts I want to use up. Can I use it to rot out some old tree stumps by any chance?

Thanks.

Hardiness Zone: 1

By Nicky from Christchurch, New Zealand

Answers

Best Answer

Each time you barbeque and use charcoal, or build a fire in the fireplace for the winter, put the leftover red hot coals onto the stump. Make sure to water the surrounding area to prevent fire. It will burn the stump out over time.

Best Answer

We cut a tree down next to our house. To kill the stump I cut it back as far as I could, next to the ground. Then I covered every bit of the stump up so it would not have any exposure to the sun. I used a metal bucket. You could probably use anything that would block out light and be sturdy. then I covered the bucket with dirt. The tree never grew anymore. It worked for me.