Electronics (Small)Repair

Repairing A Frayed Electronic Cord

Electronic cables like phone and laptop chargers get very hot and bent out of shape easily. This cable in particular is $29 from the manufacturer. With the help of a spring from a pen, you can get many more years out of your cables.

In this example, my charger was near dead; totally frayed with the wiring exposed. Extremely unsafe! Unplugged from power, I wrapped it tightly with electrical tape, then very carefully rotated the pen spring around the taped area. That's it! Fixed and saved from future heating and bending.

Two tips: Expand your spring a bit before twisting it on. Keep an eye on the front end of the spring to make sure it doesn't try to poke your wire to cause further damage to it.

I like. Makes one wonder why the manufacturer didn't do something very similar.

Let me know if you need other replacement cables. Someone gave me well over $500.00 worth of computer and phone paraphernalia. I have a 5 gallon bucket of various cords and cables, alone. I might have what you need.
.

I think manufacturers just do the bare minimum in order for you to have to purchase replacements on an annual basis.

Everything that's ripping in my house is Apple-based: MacBooks, iPhones, and iPads. And they're the most expensive! The knock-off brands (even the more expensive ones) don't always stay working, either. After a few months, the device will update its operating system, then when you try to charge with the alien cable, the device won't recognize it. Its a cruel world.