Repairing Elastic Smocking on a Dress

Category How To
Repairing damaged or worn elastic smocking can seem daunting. This is a page about repairing elastic smocking on a dress.

I'm wondering if anyone has any stylish ideas for fixing the loosened elastic smocking on a smocked-top summer dress? I am hoping for some solution that doesn't require replacing all the elastic and redoing the smocking. I don't have a machine that could do this and to attempt it by hand is a little intimidating. Thanks in advance.

By Karolin from Nyack, NY

Answers

It should be easy enough to simply sew the elastic back in where needed.
You use that thin sewing elastic in the bobbin; sew along where the elastic has loosened off, and just back-stitch to hold it.
I'm pretty sure that would be the quickest method and would look good too.

Crafts Clothing How ToApril 8, 2013
💘
🍀

Generated 2020-01-25 15:25:13 in 1 secs. ⛅️️ ⚡️