Repairing a Car's Transmission

Category Repair Advice
The transmission in your car is a very essential part of the engine. Keeping it in good working order and recognizing the onset of problems may save you money in the long run. This is a guide about repairing a car's transmission.

I have a 1998 Buick Regal and one day I was driving and it felt like the e-brake was on. I stopped at a stop sign got ready to go and it wouldn't go. I put it into 2nd gear and it went really slow. It goes into 2, 1, and reverse, just not drive. It has fluid in it and it never slipped at all just bam.

Answers

Best Answer

One of the gears in your transmission is gone out. You will need to replace this. You might need to get a new transmission by the way it sounds. The only way to find out is to take it to a shop and have them look at it.

Best Answer

You need to change the transmission fluid and the transmission fluid filter. Most people don't even know this.

The transmission in my car won't do anything. There is no drive, reverse, 1st, or second gear.

By BW from Appleton, WI

Answers

Unless you are a trained transmission mechanic, I don't think you will be able to do it yourself.

Time to take it to a shop. This sounds like an expensive repair to me, but if you are asking questions on here, you obviously need professional help with such a problem.

I had the same thing to happen to me! I was told that the trans had to be rebuilt at a cost of $1700. That didn't fix the problem! The wiring harness that goes from the transmission to the motor was bad!

$150 repair. I forget what it is called,but it tells the transmission when to change gears. As you can tell, I am no mechanic! Have it checked out first! Good Luck...Kathy

My 2001 Monte Carlo stopped pulling, the car still runs, but will not go into forward or reverse. I was driving on the express, then all of the sudden the car stopped pulling.

By tiffanysmith3095

Answers

Could be many many possibilities. Repair shop probably your best plan.

Get it towed to a shop, one that you trust, as what this probably needs is a new transmission. Get a good estimate, as you may find the repair is worth more than your car, if it is an old one.

I have my dad's old 1990 truck. The lifters are making noise and the tranny is going too. Someone told me to put ATF in the engine for the lifters and put Lucs transmission additive in for the tranny. Is this true?

Cheryl from Fayeteville, NC

Answers

By denise w (Guest Post)

My hubby retired mechanic says it can't hurt but if the engine isn't getting compression it won't help either. So its a fifty fifty. Go ahead and put it in and see if it does. Hope this helps.

By Mike (Guest Post)

Put Rislone in the engine and TransEx in for the tranny.

I have a 1998 Honda Civic and my car runs and then stops, but the car is still on. It does not move forward or backwards. I took it to my mechanic and he said that it's the transmission.

When it warms up it stops and doesn't shift gears. Can it be something else? Thanks.

Answers

If your mechanic says the problem is the transmission, then you most probably have your (unfortunately expensive) answer. You can take the car to another mechanic for another opinion. However, it appears your decision is to repair the Civic or consider another car.

I have a 2004 Nissan Altima. My transmision will not take off in any gear, whether it's drive, reverse, low or high gear, it will not move. I observed the shifter linkage and everything seems normal, there are no unusual sounds.

By Voner Hemphill V.

Answers

Your car is ten years old with unknown internal problems. You need an auto mechanic to diagnose the problems and provide recommendations for repair.

My 2005 Nissan Altima will drive in reverse, but not forward until the car is warmed up. It takes about 15 - 20 minutes.

By John

Answers

Hello John! This problem usually occurs after a certain age of car. Internal seals get brittle after a time lag and causes internal fluid leakage of unavailability for transmission. Thus transmission become unable to build enough fluid pressure to operate until adequate head is not generated.

Its not a big issue you need to rebuild your car transmission by any reliable mechanic. Even if situation of replacement arise you can buy it from any used transmission dealer like http://www.buyu  transmission.php because they perform equal as new hence no need to waste money on new one. This problem is common in cold days, so don't get annoyed.