Repairing a Car's Transmission

Category Repair Advice
The transmission in your car is a very essential part of the engine. Keeping it in good working order and recognizing the onset of problems may save you money in the long run. This is a guide about repairing a car's transmission.

I have a 1998 Buick Regal and one day I was driving and it felt like the e-brake was on. I stopped at a stop sign got ready to go and it wouldn't go. I put it into 2nd gear and it went really slow. It goes into 2, 1, and reverse, just not drive. It has fluid in it and it never slipped at all just bam.

Answers

Best Answer

One of the gears in your transmission is gone out. You will need to replace this. You might need to get a new transmission by the way it sounds. The only way to find out is to take it to a shop and have them look at it.

Best Answer

You need to change the transmission fluid and the transmission fluid filter. Most people don't even know this.

I have a 1993 Buick Lesabre with an automatic transmission problem. On cold days it takes 20 minutes to a half an hour to warmup the car before it can go forward in gear or in reverse. Now that the weather is warmer it takes about 15-20 miutes to move in gear? I know it's the transmission but has this happened to anyone else? any suggestions from other Buick owners have had this problem?

Thank you,
Joe from Providence RI

Answers

By Grandma Margie (Guest Post)

You can check out a great website http://www.stretcher.com Follow the left column down until you come to "Bob: the car care man" or "Car care clinic" or similar wording. You can check out his answers to previous problems but you can also ask him about your particular problem. He is very prompt and good about answering questions! Good Luck!

By Dean Williams (Guest Post)

my 2004 lesabre has had one fly wheel replaced and now it is broken again. The dealer is going to replace the torque converter and new flywheel. I have never had a problem with buicks, even close to this.

By Wil Davis (Guest Post)

I also have the same problem with a 1993 Buick Lesabre. When the weather gets cool or cold it won't go into forward or reverse until it warms up.

Once it engages it runs good and stays that way during the summer months. Anyone got a clue for the fix.

By Nate (Guest Post)

I have the same problem. My car won't start and takes several minutes to an hour to start back up. It also shuts of in mid-acceleration. I let my ac run for a while sometimes and push my car forward and reverse and it starts quicker.

By bill (Guest Post)

Try replacing the modulator valve.

The transmission in my car won't do anything. There is no drive, reverse, 1st, or second gear.

By BW from Appleton, WI

Answers

Unless you are a trained transmission mechanic, I don't think you will be able to do it yourself.

Time to take it to a shop. This sounds like an expensive repair to me, but if you are asking questions on here, you obviously need professional help with such a problem.

I had the same thing to happen to me! I was told that the trans had to be rebuilt at a cost of $1700. That didn't fix the problem! The wiring harness that goes from the transmission to the motor was bad!

$150 repair. I forget what it is called,but it tells the transmission when to change gears. As you can tell, I am no mechanic! Have it checked out first! Good Luck...Kathy

When my 94 Buick is cold and I put in it in drive or reverse it bumps, but won't go forwards or reverse for about 10 to 15 minutes, till it warms up. Then once warmed up it goes into gear and works perfectly until it cools down, then same over again. I changed fluid and filter and no difference. What do I do?

By Richard from Huntsville, AL

Answers

Let it warm up. Might need bands tightened. But since it's a 94 might just be age.

I have a 1990 Buick LeSabre. My tranmission would not shift to overdrive. I put fluid in, but I put too much So I removed the excess and now it doesn't move at all.

My 2001 Monte Carlo stopped pulling, the car still runs, but will not go into forward or reverse. I was driving on the express, then all of the sudden the car stopped pulling.

By tiffanysmith3095

Answers

Could be many many possibilities. Repair shop probably your best plan.

Get it towed to a shop, one that you trust, as what this probably needs is a new transmission. Get a good estimate, as you may find the repair is worth more than your car, if it is an old one.

I have my dad's old 1990 truck. The lifters are making noise and the tranny is going too. Someone told me to put ATF in the engine for the lifters and put Lucs transmission additive in for the tranny. Is this true?

Cheryl from Fayeteville, NC

Answers

By denise w (Guest Post)

My hubby retired mechanic says it can't hurt but if the engine isn't getting compression it won't help either. So its a fifty fifty. Go ahead and put it in and see if it does. Hope this helps.

By Mike (Guest Post)

Put Rislone in the engine and TransEx in for the tranny.

I have a 1998 Honda Civic and my car runs and then stops, but the car is still on. It does not move forward or backwards. I took it to my mechanic and he said that it's the transmission. When it warms up it stops and doesn't shift gears. Can it be something else? Thanks.

Answers

If your mechanic says the problem is the transmission, then you most probably have your (unfortunately expensive) answer. You can take the car to another mechanic for another opinion. However, it appears your decision is to repair the Civic or consider another car.

I have a 2004 Nissan Altima. My transmision will not take off in any gear, whether it's drive, reverse, low or high gear, it will not move. I observed the shifter linkage and everything seems normal, there are no unusual sounds.

By Voner Hemphill V.

Answers

Your car is ten years old with unknown internal problems. You need an auto mechanic to diagnose the problems and provide recommendations for repair.

My 2005 Nissan Altima will drive in reverse, but not forward until the car is warmed up. It takes about 15 - 20 minutes.

By John

Answers

Hello John! This problem usually occurs after a certain age of car. Internal seals get brittle after a time lag and causes internal fluid leakage of unavailability for transmission. Thus transmission become unable to build enough fluid pressure to operate until adequate head is not generated. Its not a big issue you need to rebuild your car transmission by any reliable mechanic. Even if situation of replacement arise you can buy it from any used transmission dealer like http://www.buyu … transmission.php because they perform equal as new hence no need to waste money on new one. This problem is common in cold days, so don't get annoyed.

How do I replace the modulator valve on a 1994 LeSabre?

Answers

If you have a public library nearby, they might have Motor, Chilton or Haynes manuals that cover your car's make and model. One of them should have diagrams and instructions to explain this repair. You might be able to borrow the book, or else photocopy the pages you need.

If not, the librarian might be able to help you get this information through interloan or other research tools. When I worked as a librarian, I helped patrons with these questions many times. Good luck!

I just bought a 1994 Buick Lesabre and everyday I have to warm it up for at least 30 minutes or more in order for my car to drive. If I do not warm it up no matter how much I press the gas the car will not drive. I don't have any extra money; can you please tell me what I need to do?

By Precious M

Answers

Verify the fluid level first off. It that's ok it sounds like the tranny is worn out. There are additives you can buy that you put in that may help. I generally don't think these additives are good long term but if the tranny is worn out and needs to be replaced soon anyway I would give it a shot as it may buy you some time.