Restoring a Shrunken Wool Sweater

To restore a shrunken wool sweater, dissolve one ounce of Borax in just enough hot water to dissolve it and add to one gallon of tepid water. Immerse sweater in this and gently pull into shape. Then rinse in one gallon of tepid water to which 2 tablespoons of vinegar have been added.

Source: Martha from a Vancouver paper.

By shirley dobie from Dawson Creek, BC

Answers:

Restoring a Shrunken Wool Sweater

Have you tried this and, if so, what amount of shrinkage (how any sizes) did it help you repair? I am asking because some wools shrink several sizes. :-( (08/03/2010)

By Deeli

Restoring a Shrunken Wool Sweater

I have found the "hair Conditioner" method works well. I tried it with a very cheap bottle from the dollar store and it worked like a charm. The secret is to really let it soak and gently "pull" the fibres apart. I used more conditioner than water but haven't played around to see what ratio works best. (08/03/2010)

By ERP

📓
🌻
😎
🐛