Rodent Control Suggestions

We live in an old house and I wish we had the time, money, and patience to close off every opening/crevice to our home, from attics, walls, crawlspace, etc. but that seems impossible. We also have two dogs, so poisons are too big of a risk. Does anyone have rodent control suggestions? I have some traps in the crawlspace, I'll work on getting peppermint oil and boxes of mothballs. (We're not cat people.) Gosh, I feel like we have NO options, but if you any ideas, I'd love to hear about it! Thank you!

Shannon

Answers:

Rodent Control Suggestions

I too am unwilling to use poisons, even weed killer, because of my dogs. Other than live trapping or finding some natural thing they hate I don't know what to do besides filling the holes in. I would do an internet search for some natural repellents, too. (01/17/2005)

By Vicki

Rodent Control Suggestions

Don't use moth balls, they are poisonous to humans too! Check out various sites regarding the dangers of moth balls.

(01/17/2005)

By ElectricC

Rodent Control Suggestions

I don't know what type of rodents you have but I have heard of people using hair clippings (from the barber shop) to keep animals away in gardens. They may be worth a try in the out of the way places in your house. (01/18/2005)

By Ann4

Rodent Control Suggestions

Place
Coca Cola in saucers, they drink it and go away to die. Apparently painlessly. It as worked for me with rats and mice. (01/18/2005)

By ang

Rodent Control Suggestions

I stuff steel wool in all the cracks and around the pipes that come through the floor. I also use glue traps where the dogs cannot get them. Glue traps go into a bucket up water when filled and then into the garbage.
I use blocks of dehydrating poison behind things dogs cannot get. (01/18/2005)

By Susan from Hamilton

By sjk

Rodent Control Suggestions

A hunter told me that Red Fox Urine bought at the sports store- sprayed around the attic (or wherever you need to repel rats and mice) works well. Pee yew hold your breath while spraying, but no rats in the attic since I started this! (03/25/2005)

By lindajean