Rooting a Single Rose Leaf

Category Cuttings
Roses are frequently started from cuttings. Sometimes a leaf from a plant can be used to propagate a new plant. This is a guide about rooting a single rose leaf.

I'm sure most of you know the meaning of the word 'fontanelle'. For any of you who might not, put quite simply; it's the soft spot on the head of most newborns and infants.

When I was a little boy, one of the greatest pleasures of my young life was to hold a newborn baby. People, it's a wonderful feeling, creating a precious memory you carry with you the rest of your life.

I was given the opportunity to hold newborns several times as a child. An adult was always standing beside me, showing me the proper way to hold an infant. I was shown how to carefully support the head and I was made aware of the baby's fontanelle. The fontanelle was to always be protected and never to be touched.

How carefully I removed this rose leaf rooting from it's home, placed it in a scanner, scanned it and returned it to the soil, all reminded me of the great care I gave to holding a tiny baby.

I was inserting some rose cuttings in a medium when, as I did, a single, small leaf fell off one cutting and down to the medium. I said, 'Why not'? There was 3 or 4 millimeters of tiny stem attached to the leaf. I carefully inserted the first 3 into the medium.

Three weeks later while examining the cuttings, looking for and removing any that I thought might not make it; I noticed the single leaf looked turgid and quite healthy. Upon carefully lifting it, I noticed it had calloused over at the stem tip. I replaced it into the medium.

Two more weeks later, I again lifted the leaf from the medium. After scanning the leaf, I once more returned it to the medium. The results can be seen, below.

There is a force within this rose leaf; a program, actually. That program is for a means to continue the life of the rose leaf. If all proper conditions are met, the program will be triggered to play. I supplied the proper conditions and the program did begin to play. I just hope my briefly disrupting this program for at least 3 times, will not cause it to cease playing.

Although this post is listed as a tip, it is not. As you have read, the procedure was quite simple. I am posting this article on ThriftyFun as documentation. While rooting a single, small rose leaf may be commonplace, I have never heard of such. I am using ThriftyFun as a means of letting everybody know that it can be done and that I have done it.

Whether this program plays to the point I have a new rose bush, is doubtful. I will do my utmost best to see that it does. And if it does, I later, will add a picture of the results to this post. Please wish me good fortune. Thanks.

What a sweet story

Thank you

Love this idea
What does "medium" mean. Thanks

I love your stories. This one was so beautiful. I want to see your rose bush when she becomes a beautiful teenager.