Saving Money on Pumpkins

Category Saving Money
Whether by the pound or each there are ways to get the most from your purchase. This page is about saving money on pumpkins.

Be sure to check your local Walmart right after Halloween for leftover pumpkins. Many people will not buy them after Halloween and you can get them for nearly free. Last year I talked to the guy over the produce section who told me he had marked them down to a penny and they still would not sell! I picked up as many as I could carry (3) and headed for the checkout counter.

I found a great idea for beef stew in a pumpkin, where you just stick the whole thing in the oven. The uneaten leftover parts of the pumpkin were pureed to make pie filling. You can also throw the seeds out in your yard to grow your own next year!

By Rachel from Anderson, SC

It's pumpkin season! Here are tips for saving money on pumpkins and getting the most out of the pumpkins that you purchase.

Grow Your Own

Last fall, I threw one of our old Jack O' Lanterns in my flowerbed beside the house to compost, and this year we don't have to buy pumpkins! Supposedly, volunteer plants like pumpkins don't produce fruit, but ours did! We've already picked 3 beautiful pumpkins and there are 8 more turning orange. so there's an idea for next year, at least.

By Wendy

Buy Misshapen Ones for Eating

Last year at our farmers market there was a seller that had quite a few pumpkins. The nicely shaped ones were quite a bit higher in price but he had a bunch of pumpkins that were misshaped for just $1. I got a couple of the $1 pumpkins, cooked and froze them for my winter baking. You might check that out.

By suzin

U-Pick Pumpkins

Pick your own. Local farms and apple orchards often have pumpkins for sale too, and often you can pick your own.

By Janice C.

Tips For Keeping Your Jack O'Lantern Longer

Be sure to keep uncarved pumpkins out of direct sunlight. Once carved, rub Vaseline on the carved areas to keep your pumpkin even longer!

By Laura Butler

Turn Them Around For Thanksgiving

After carving them for Halloween, I simply turn them around and I have Thanksgiving decorations! I have done this for years. Just remember to throw them in the compost before they get too rotten!

By Shelley Hill

Freezing Pumpkins

Pumpkins are cheap this time of year. Here's a guide to freezing pumpkins for later use:

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

One way we save at Halloween is simple. We either wait until the day of to carve our pumpkins OR, we paint on the face with non toxic paint. Then the day after, we cut up the pumpkin, boil in salt water, then peel and mash when cool.

Budget & Finance Saving MoneyNovember 11, 2012
😷
📓
😎
🌻
🐛
Generated 2020-08-05 09:31:06 in 821 msecs. ⛅️️
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Saving-Money-on-Pumpkins-1.html