Selling Home Baked Goods at a Flea Market

I am wanting to sell, my baked sweets that I make in my own kitchen, at the local flea market. But I'm not sure what I need to obtain to do so. What licenses do I need? Please help!

It depends where you live.

But at the local fair - the people who sell baked goods or any food have to get a permit from the health inspection/country, in addition get a permit to sell at the flea market.

Example: yourbusiness.azcentral.com/permits-sell-baked-goods-flea-markets...

There's a lot of steps...

They are right. If you have pets, you will most likely not be able to get a certified kitchen. Any home "ailments" will knock you out, too.

But that doesn't mean you can't. If you find it's too much work, here's what a friend of mine did. Until she knew if her product was going to sell, she rented a church kitchen for a few months. If you know someone with a small deli, that might work for off hours, too. I wish you luck!!

Different places have different rules. Contact the local board of health.

As a general rule, it is not always easy to sell "food", even baked goods, at a flea market. This is mainly due to the fact that most flea markets (even covered ones) are not always that clean or at least give the appearance of being unclean. Outdoor flea markets are the worst (for keeping an area clean) and most of the flea markets only alow a certain number of food vendors and most of those have an enclosed stall (rented from the establishment). Now this is not always the case but it does bear checking out before making any definite plans.

Generally, a farmers market is a much better idea for what you are considering. It may be open but it is usually a smaller area and not the same type of "traffic" and usually has a cleaner appearance. Of course, this would need checking out also.
Every state/county/city has laws concerning selling food of any kind but there is something called "Cottage Food Laws" and many states have information available to help people like you get started.
I hope you have found all the information you need to be sure of the cost effectiveness of what you plan to bake and sell as there can be a very small margin of profit and - if you are not really careful - you can go in the red very quickly.
There are several government agencies that you will/may have to contact but this link might help you get started. Click on your state for beginners information:

forrager.com/laws

forrager.com/.../

There is a wealth of information on ThriftyFun site also:

www.thriftyfun.com/Selling-Baked-Goods-at-Flea-Markets...

Anonymous

hi dear

You need to get a food licence