Sewing Machine Needle Jammed

My sewing machine froze up when I pressed the foot pedal to make it go. The needle doesn't do up and down. I can't even turn it to go up and down. I wanted to know if there was anything I can do to fix it my self or should I take it to a repair shop? Thanks. Hope to hear from you soon.

Jessica

Answers:

Sewing Machine Jammed

In the past, I have had the threads lock up between the needle and the bobbin. Try removing the needle from the shaft and then take bobbin out. See if that is the freeze up. If not, start from the electric outlet and check all connections. Maybe somewhere they got loose. Good luck. I know it's frustrating! (08/06/2010)

By Susan Mickelson

Sewing Machine Jammed

Check the threads like suem1009 suggested. If that is it and it works after you get them loose, then good. If it keeps doing that it could be the "timing". This will need a repair shop.
Try oiling it very well. I had a machine freeze tight because I hadn't oiled it, ever. (I lost the manual and didn't know how.) Good luck! (08/06/2010)

By lisa Hegewald

Sewing Machine Jammed

Your timing could be off, but it could be something else also. Here is a website where people can ask questions about their sewing machines. One of the questions there is about machines freezing up. See if his answer helps you out.

sewvacdoctor.com (08/07/2010)

By Elaine

Sewing Machine Jammed

Have you tried unscrewing the needle? Sometimes if it gets bent slightly, it jams. (08/07/2010)

By marion davidson

Sewing Machine Jammed

Depending on the age of your machine, it may have a rubber belt. They can wear out or stretch. After checking suem1009's idea you may need a new belt, and that can take a repairman. (08/08/2010)

By Mary Lou

Sewing Machine Jammed

One thing I would never fool with is the timing in my machine. Take it to the repair shop and get an estimate before they work on it. If it's too high you might consider a new machine? Good luck. (08/08/2010)

By Sandi

Anonymous

You may have thrown the safety clutch-(assuming the machine has one). Your manual will show you how to reset it.