Silhouette Jar Storm Lantern
Vote for this contest contender!
Turn an empty glass jar into a beautiful jar lantern for a garden party, or make a few to add drama and atmosphere to your garden.
Total Time: 20 minutes
Yield: one jar lantern
- empty clear glass jar without lid
- kitchen wax paper
- 10mm wide black self-adhesive decorative paper lace tape
- black self-adhesive decorative paper lace tape with butterflies
- leftover gold embroidered net lace fabric
- battery operated string of pure white LED fairy lights
- Modge Podge
- Rolkem gold dusting powder
- clear sellotape
- quick-drying craft glue (such as Bostik Clear)
- standard scissors
- iron and ironing board
- small plastic bowl
- Measure and cut a strip of wax paper that would fit around the jar.
- Glue 10mm wide decorative lace tape to the top and bottom of the strip of wax paper, and cut off any protruding edges.
- Cut butterflies from the second decorative tape, and glue them to the wax paper in between the lace tape borders added to the top and bottom.
- Use a medium heat setting and lightly iron the wax paper so that the lace tape borders and butterflies will thoroughly stick to the wax paper. Allow to cool down before continuing.
- Use a piece of sellotape to secure the one short end of the wax paper to the jar. Wrap the wax paper tightly around the jar and secure again with sellotape where it overlaps.
- Mix Modge Podge and Rolkem dusting powder in the small plastic bowl. Use the paintbrush and dab some of the mixture on to the waxed paper, making sure that you do not dab over the butterflies or over the border. Use the mixture to paint the parts of the jar that protrude above and below the wax paper. Allow to dry thoroughly.
- Cut a border pattern from the gold embroidered net lace fabric and use Bostik to glue it around the neck of the jar. Cut five small flowers from the same fabric and glue them around the neck of the jar to add the finishing touches.
- Add the lights and voila!
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!