Pest ControlGardening

Something Is Eating the Leaves on My Lilies

I have tall white lilies and shorter stargazer type lilies and something is eating all the leaves. The flowers appear untouched, but the rest of the plant is ugly. What is doing this and what can I do to change this?

We are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards (US only) for people who answer recent questions on ThriftyFun this month! Click here to find out more...

I would not worry about what is eating the leaves and start treating the plants with insecticidal soap. It comes in a spray bottle and works well

Today there are many new bugs appearing that are feasting on our plants. Last year your plant was healthy and looked beautiful. This year the leaves are ugly and eaten. You can prevent this from happening if you mix some oil with water and Dawn dish soap. Start by spraying the leaves of the plant at night. You will need to continue spraying every other day. At times this takes 3 weeks to rid of the plants of all bugs.

Please be very careful when using Dawn dish soap (or any bottled soap) as you can kill many plants if not used properly. Many people just say spray your plants with Dawn mixed in water and that can be disastrous if mixed too strong.

Here is some information on how to make an insecticidal soap with Dawn:

The recipe for homemade insecticidal soap requires only three ingredients: Dawn dish soap, vegetable oil and soft water. Mix 2.5 tablespoons of the Dawn dish soap and 2.5 tablespoons of vegetable oil with 1 gallon of warm soft water. The Dawn dish soap used in the recipe must not contain bleach, which could harm the plants. Furthermore, you should always use soft water when diluting pesticides. Hard water contains minerals, which interfere with the insecticidal soap, reducing its effectiveness.
Most likely what is eating the leaves on your lily is what is called the lily beetle and it is very bad and difficult to eradicate. Insecticidal soap may help but you may have to take other measures also as this is a bad bug.

I have read that Bayer Rose & Flower Insect Spray will kill the lily bug but I have not had to deal with this bug yet so investigate it before trying and always give each "remedy" several weeks to work before trying something different.
If this is your problem you can read about how to control it on this link but if you just Google "leaf eating bugs on my lilies" you will find a lot of information.

http://www.gard  beetle/8090.html

http://homeguid  llent-82536.html

It is generally always safe to use insecticidal soap even 2 or 3 days after some other treatment has been used.

https://www.tod  soap-for-plants/

My mum and I use this Bayer spray. It's very cheap and works great:

https://www.tar  amp;gclsrc=aw.ds

Thanks for the link as I was getting ready to order so now I do not have to search.