Something Is Eating the Leaves on My Lilies

Category Pest Control
Are the leaves of your lilies being ravaged by some unidentified pests? Insecticidal soap may be one method to treat this issue. Read on for more information.

I have tall white lilies and shorter stargazer type lilies and something is eating all the leaves. The flowers appear untouched, but the rest of the plant is ugly. What is doing this and what can I do to change this?

Answers

Best Answer

Please be very careful when using Dawn dish soap (or any bottled soap) as you can kill many plants if not used properly. Many people just say spray your plants with Dawn mixed in water and that can be disastrous if mixed too strong.

Here is some information on how to make an insecticidal soap with Dawn:

The recipe for homemade insecticidal soap requires only three ingredients: Dawn dish soap, vegetable oil and soft water. Mix 2.5 tablespoons of the Dawn dish soap and 2.5 tablespoons of vegetable oil with 1 gallon of warm soft water. The Dawn dish soap used in the recipe must not contain bleach, which could harm the plants. Furthermore, you should always use soft water when diluting pesticides. Hard water contains minerals, which interfere with the insecticidal soap, reducing its effectiveness.
Most likely what is eating the leaves on your lily is what is called the lily beetle and it is very bad and difficult to eradicate. Insecticidal soap may help but you may have to take other measures also as this is a bad bug.

I have read that Bayer Rose & Flower Insect Spray will kill the lily bug but I have not had to deal with this bug yet so investigate it before trying and always give each "remedy" several weeks to work before trying something different.
If this is your problem you can read about how to control it on this link but if you just Google "leaf eating bugs on my lilies" you will find a lot of information.

www.gardeners.com/.../8090.html

homeguides.sfgate.com/dawn-detergent-insect-repellent-82536...

It is generally always safe to use insecticidal soap even 2 or 3 days after some other treatment has been used.

www.todayshomeowner.com/.../

Best Answer

My mum and I use this Bayer spray. It's very cheap and works great:

www.target.com/.../A-13966871?sid=1411S&ref=tgt_adv_XS000000...

Various garden insects can do damage to the leaves of your plants. Discovering the culprit can help you get rid of them. This is a page about something is eating the leaves on canna lilies.

Pink Canna Lilies

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

Home and Garden Gardening Pest ControlMay 31, 2020
🐛
👔
🌻
🎆
😎
😷

Generated 2020-06-01 23:10:42 in 2 secs. ⛅️️ ⚡️