Soot Removal

We have soot smoke on the walls and on the ceiling. How can we remove it?

By Gr from Wisconsin

Best Answer

Try magic eraser! It was the only thing that worked for me. But I also used it on the wood, smooth mantle. So I'm not sure for walls or ceilings.

Anonymous

Yes, that is the only thing that worked for me too!

Ive tried the magic earaser on my ceiling and unfortunately it just smeared it around and made it look worse, so be careful.

I used a product called Totally Awesome. It is carried in The Dollar Tree and Dollar General. It is yellow in color. This stuff is amazing. I haven't found anything that this product doesn't clean.

Make sure it is Totally Awesome and not any other. It comes in a handy spray bottle and is also sold by the gallon. I even used this to remove old varnish on a piece of furniture. It is a great cleaner. Hope this helps.

Anonymous

I'm gonna try, never occurred to me & I am a TOTAL FAN OF IT, everyone should know about it, IT ALSO SAVES HAVING A DZ. DIFFERENT CLEANING PRODUCTS UNDER SINKS
THANKS .... SO MUCH FOR TIP

The only problem was totally awesome which I used for many things is that it takes to paint right off the walls I had a grease fire last night my kitchen is completely soot and I live in an old Victorian house the ceilings are I think 14 feet tall and very ornately decorative with stainded glass windows any other thoughts I don't want to repaint

Thanks this worked miracles

Anonymous

Thanks I will try it.

I tried Totally Awesome did not work for me. It is a great product and I use it for a lot of things but it did not take the soot off.

I also tried Dawn that did not work either. Still looking for something that will take the soot off my walls and ceiling.

A degreaser formula will take it off the walls

Best Answer

TSP- trisodium phosphate, local hardware store, inexpensive. I've been using it for years heavy grease soot, wood, bricks wall, metal and laundry stains.

Thanks will give it a go

Anonymous

Painted surfaces;
1/4 cup each of tri sodium phosphate, detergent, 1 gallon warm water.

I used a combination of white vinegar, ammonia, & "Awesome" (from the dollar store). In a gallon of very warm water, I added equal parts of vinegar & ammonia (about 3/4's of a cup), and about a 1/3 of the "Awesome".

As I cleaned, I rinsed my scrubby & rag in a separate bucket (which I dumped frequently)- if you don't the cleaning mixture turns black-fast! Rinse with cool water.

This mixture will also help as a pre-soak for damaged clothing & linens.

After reading and trying most methods I finally found my own answer; "Sprayway" glass cleaner. Yes you still need to use a little elbow grease but it cleans great and a bonus .... it doesn't smell like all the other's.