Candle Soot On Walls

I have just painted my rooms in my house and over the winter I burn candles. Now I have black soot like material on my walls. Anyone have any easy idea on how to get this off? I work 65 hours or more a week at the hospital as a registered nurse and I don't have too much spare time

Thanks everyone,
AJ FAN

Best Answer

Rubbing alcohol on a clean rag. If you put it in a spray bottle you will get drips.
cj

This answer was a lifesaver! Worked for me (I used the rubbing alcohol pretty soon after I saw the soot. Not sure if it will work on aged stains.

Best Answer

The first thing I try for wall and ceiling stains is a (generic brand) Mr. Clean-type eraser. It's not failed me yet.

By Amy (Guest Post)
Best Answer

Watch out for that rubbing alcohol tip, it took the soot off, but it took the paint with it. Amy

You shouldn't be getting any soot when you burn candles. The wick could be too long. Read the candle instructions, usually at the bottom, on how long the wick should be. I usually trim mine to 1/4 inch before relighting. Another reason could be that the candle isn't well made. I don't burn as many candles now since I discovered candle warmers. This is the same idea as an electric mug warmer but it warms the candle which releases the scent.

I do use a mug warmer to warm some of my candles along with my candle warmers. Just have to be very careful since it is a heating element. I bought the candle warmers at A.C. Moore. I believe it was under $8.00. I have used mine for years without any problems. Also, make sure when you use a candle in a candle warmer that you allow room for the candle to melt so it doesn't overflow.

By LHegs (Guest Post)

Once you get the stains off, only burn candles that do not have the little wire in the wick. Partylite is one brand that is great. They can be found online. The little extra that you pay is well worth it.

Please, please don't burn wax candles. Soy candles have no residue and a stronger scent "throw". Candle warmers are great. Last year a tenant moved out and EVERYWHERE in the house was black soot. It was so bad it took 2 coats of oil based Kiltz and 2 coats of Glidden paint to cover.

This was painting EVERYTHING - walls, ceilings, bathrooms, baseboards, kitchen cabinets, doors. My time to do this - 30days!! Any other time I would be finished in a week.
Now I forbid my tenants to burn wax candles and if there is black soot on the walls, I keep the damage deposit.

By Libbie (Guest Post)

Had the same problem--burned candles and got this awful black soot all over the walls and ceiling and carpet edging of my newly constructed house. Was able to easily remove the soot by first vacuuming and then wiping the surfaces down with a dry cleaning sponge--the great part about it is that no water is involved so you don't get streaking on painted walls! :) The sponges get rid of the oily film the soot is made of.

I found them online at parish-supply.com--very economical, as one sponge will go a long way---and it doesn't take long to clean. Since then, I the routinely clean the whole house annually with the sponges. Good Luck!:)

Anonymous

I went to Parish. There are many sponges. Which one did you get. I've got a mess with soot and nothing works. Melinda.

None of the above solutions worked for me. My BF tried Soft Scrub with Bleach and it came right off!