Soot Odour

We had a chimney fire 6 years ago, and a crack appeared in the chimney. We could see it on the outside. We got it fixed just a 1 year ago, but obviously left it too long. The chimney has a bedroom on either side of it, and we can smell soot when the fire is on. The builders could only go so far in the chimney. Soot must of fallen outside the flues. I'm worried about this odour. If I put my nose to the walls I can smell it.

Ad

Do you think putting plaster board on the walls in the bedrooms will help, and skim over it?

By Teresa

Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

January 12, 20150 found this helpful
Best Answer

I agree with the previous person. You should not smell any soot in a bedroom if the fireplace and chimney are working correctly. Suggest you have the entire chimney and fireplace inspected with a new estimate for any needed repairs. Also, if the prior repair company is at fault, you might consider a monetary demand for any new repairs you may have to make.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
January 18, 20180 found this helpful

you are on a path of a fire disaster, both losing your home and the people that live in the house. Stop using the fireplace asap.

Ad


Have the crack exposed and repaired which may mean taking down the entire chimney. I have learned a lot as a Firefighter / rescue officer for 32 years.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
Anonymous
February 16, 20160 found this helpful
Best Answer

Get the chimney insulated. They put an inflatable rubber tube down the chimney, pore a thermal cement down around it. When set they deflate the tube and remove it leaving a sealed smoothed chimney.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
January 11, 20150 found this helpful

I would be calling a company out to inspect the fireplace. Sounds like perhaps the repair may be lacking.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
January 14, 20150 found this helpful

I agree with the other posters. It is time to get this repaired properly. You should not be smelling soot/smoke in the bedrooms though the walls. I do not think this is a problem that can be fixed with plasterboard.

Ad

I lived in many different houses in my youth with wood and oil burning stoves and brick chimneys. Never at any time could one smell anything from around the chimney. I would also be worried about carbon monoxide, although maybe that is a non-issue. I don't know.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
December 1, 20160 found this helpful

have a fireplace specialist/ chimney sweep check it or you might end up with a in wall fire

Reply Was this helpful? Yes

Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

Related Content
In This Guide
Categories
Home and Garden Cleaning OdorsJanuary 11, 2015
Guides
More
🌻
Gardening
🐛
Pest Control
😎
Summer Ideas!
Facebook
Pinterest
YouTube
Instagram
Contests!
Newsletters
Ask a Question
Share a Post
Categories
Better LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness and LegalComputersConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood and RecipesHealth & BeautyHolidays and PartiesHome and GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsPhotosTravel and RecreationWeddings
Desktop Page | View Mobile

Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Contact Us

© 1997-2018 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Published by ThriftyFun.

Generated 2018/07/12 08:17:56 in 1 secs. ⛅️️
Loading Something Awesome!